I wake up every morning at 7 AM, make my husband a cup of tea and sit at my office work. I am a professional mostly working in ‘work from home’ structure, well our technological innovations have made things much feasible these days.
I finish two sets of works in the first half of my timetable, which lasts until 10.00 AM. Then we have our breakfast. After about 25 minutes I resume working on my later projects, attending to the urgent issues first and the casual ones afterward.
When I speak to some of my friends, they tell me that they are having a hard time dealing with home life and work life, especially those who have children. Most of them go to the office and either complain to some folks or cry to them that their children have called them ‘bad mom’.
Well, I do not disagree that support from your home, family and society is an imperative factor for maintaining a good work-life balance, but if that is not there we have to deal with the difficulties ourselves.
- I knew it from the first day that I have to be guilt free- there is no point being guilty if I cannot make a clear choice between family and profession. When I have to work, have to earn, what is the use of feeling myself responsible for any problem that comes to the family (of course that is not true), so no point punishing myself. Stop blaming yourself if your kids are not studying, or your electricity bill is not getting paid on right time.
- Make a timetable, a routine for yourself, if you have a lot of responsibilities. I believe a day has 24 hours, out of which 16 hours are there for you to finish all small and big activities. Setting a proper routine will help you maintain a selective time for each work and activity, and you will hopefully finish everything without getting burdened. When you are not working with a correct format in mind, you tend to mix up things, and often linger on less important tasks.
- Set your priorities right. Select the more important task first, and be ruthless about it. Clearly attend to your professional work and finish presentation documents if you have to submit a project the next morning, rather than playing with your kid, which can wait, or even someone else in the household can play for the evening. Do not be overridden with guilt because you are a working mom, and adhere to gaming with kids because they are demanding so, when you have some very important work.
- Decide what you want to have. If you are satisfied with your job, and your home, you do not need to crave for more work, only for money. Take up just that much work which you can handle with passion, and that will help you maintain a healthy social and personal life, because latter is also important for good mental health.
- Doing a lot and not loving any is foolish. Do as much as you want to do, both for your family, and profession.
- Keep self-time. There has to be a time, when you attend only to your hobbies and entertainment or rest, do not compromise it with anything, or you will generally be stressed out.
Follow your ideologies with an upright spirit and you will never fall short on your responsibilities. You will enjoy working as well as homing.