Why not relax on your couch with a bowl of popcorn and watch the same concert on television, whether live on air, or recorded version?
If you are a music lover, or appreciate art, that should be more enjoyable for you, to sit at home, and replay your favourite portions, repeatedly until your soul is satisfied.
Then what fun is there in standing in long queues for getting the tickets for a live show, or even sweating in the crowd on the day of the event?
There are several psychological reasons as to why we love being at live shows.
- Money stands for happiness: often we have seen shopaholics who love to shop when they are depressed or bored. In fact, my neighbour next door is one of the kinds, who goes out with her purse, anytime, anywhere, once she is worried, or upset with something. Spending some good amount of money on some purchases can cheer you up, because shopping makes you feel that you have the power to choose your stuff, and spend on it without much thinking, less thinking means less stress. And the more money you spend, better is the object of purchase (at least you love to believe so).
Similarly, when you are spending money for an experience, you feel you are buying art and culture for yourself. You are choosing yourself, what you want to watch, and pay it off without thinking, so definitely you believe the live concert is a grand event. You cannot get the same pleasure at home, because you do not pay for it, especially. So, if there is no money involved, the experience cannot be that good.
After a psychological research by Van Boven & Gilovich, results were- 57% said experiences made them happier while 34% said things gave them pleasure. However, ultimately, it was something they got in exchange of money.
- Once you are spending on some experience, or in other words, you are ‘choosing’ to spend on an experience, a cultural event of art, rather than any material, you feel proud of yourself that you are finally of the intellectual class in society.
- Live concerts give a person his own time, 2 to 3 hrs time, where he stays at one place, doesn’t talk much but listen, which is a rare scene in today’s busy life. Every day is a hectic movement for each one of us, and so we want a moment of recluse when we can be with ourselves, and enjoy the entertainment without interruption for some time.
- Live concerts are more enjoyable because there is a common crowd. Mob tendency, remember! Man is a social being, so he enjoys more with others than alone. So if one person is overexcited and shouts out in joy to cheer the performer, the positive emotion and excitement are soon transferred to another person from him, and yet another, and finally we find the whole auditorium cheering. Emotions are contagious! Here the fun is not because the program is superb, but because people of common interest are watching it together and sharing their uplifted spirit and laughter contagiously. Because, #AliveIsAwesome.
- Live shows are more popular, because they allow fans to get a glimpse of their favourite stars in real. Sometimes, if they want they can just feel them for a moment, and that gives a sense of achievement to many people.
So go ahead, spend some money to buy a quality time for yourself, rejoice in a likeable company, and keep enjoying live shows.