‘Word Of Mouth’, not quite a new term in the field of business, however, it means just a spoken language which is informal; i.e. an unofficial discourse among people may be called ‘word of mouth’.
However, when this policy is properly utilised by brands and markets, it can evolve great results for sale of products of growth of business.
You may wonder how?
Now suppose you have gone for a salon treatment; you have been immensely satisfied with the beautician or the stylist there and once you meet your friends, they appreciate your make-over, at once you start conversing on the experience you have received at the particular salon and how pleasurable and satisfactory it has been in that atmosphere. Sometimes you even go on to describe the interiors and the wall decors of the parlour; may be the behaviour of its owner if it has been polite etc. So indirectly, you are promoting the salon and contributing to the business growth. Your friends in future will prefer to visit the parlour at least once when they require a treatment after receiving the feedback from you.
Research has proved that ‘word of mouth’ or such kind of interpersonal communication develops with stimulation of a part of the brain which generates a reaction to the body. This kind of stimulation may show symptoms like increased heart rate, blood pressure and sweating due to excitement caused by the mention of the information topic that you start giving to others.
Psychologically, whenever, we are ‘wowed’, we like to share the experience with others as we all are social beings. And the very moment the relevant subject springs up co-incidentally, you want to share your information on it. The reasons being:
- You want to show yourself knowledgeable and intelligent that you have an answer to every question in a social discussion.
- You want to feel the joy of helping your friends with the relevant information.
- You want to pour out the thoughts which are actually creating indigestion in your stomach. :D
Berger’s theory is believed to be the best in this field.
However, this positive feedback attitude changes the moment the owner him/herself asks you to refer his/her name to your acquaintances; you no longer feel so positive about the received treatment, nor do you feel motivated to visit the place again.
Marketing heads of a company or brand should know the right tricks to manipulate this word of mouth strategy in favour of their promotion.
This requires no investment and is probably considered the most effective medium of growing business.
- Controversy gets people talking- so reveal about some interesting policies, positive or negative. Use some offers to lure customers who will find it interesting to talk about. No wonder Chetan Bhagat books do so well in the market. Some people hate it, but critics mark it as bestsellers, so you as a customer will read his book at least once to find out the truth, so that is how it works.
- Value what your customers care about- make your product keeping in mind the needs of the customer; they will automatically promote you. Satisfying the customer is the most important thing.
“Have you noticed I haven’t written one word about book reviews or magazine interviews or radio or any of that bullshit?
Because for the most part, I’ve found that they don’t really matter.
I can tell you from very extensive experience that my book has done so well ONLY because people who read it recommended it to other people, and they went out and bought it.
Word of mouth. Nothing else…lasting, real word of mouth can only come from one source: creating value.” – Tucker Max.
- The best way to promote your brand is to stop worrying much about its promotion- knocking at the door never helps. Do not ask for referrals. Let your customers refer you out of their own free will. If you tell them to do it, they will never do it; in fact, their feedback might turn negative.
- Use the technology to increase your access to people- technology is developing faster with which you can reach out to your customers and buyers faster and more effectively, without having to plead or beg with someone. If you have to relegate an information about your product, you can do so with Craiglist, OLX and ebay.
That way it works faster and reaches greater mass within a short span of time. if one customer watches your ad and gets benefited by it, he or she will soon refer it to his or her friends and this goes on like a chain.
Hence gossip is not that bad at least for business men who can use this social necessity of people properly.