Negative thoughts can be really challenging for a person. Feelings of apprehension, anxiety and panic are associated with it. When we allow your negative thoughts to empower us, we actually become ‘energy vampires’ and then we can endlessly complain about our misfortunes, or some created ideas of deprivation and hopelessness.
Sometimes, the negative thoughts about a place or a person or culture, is so strong that we want to nurture it till the end of our lifetime.
That is not the right attitude. Negative thoughts can affect your mental health badly;
it can also be detrimental for your decisions and actions. It is very important to identify the cause of your negativity and replace it with positivity.
Watch the video and see what happens to a father, who had once had the ambition of becoming a hero in the film industry, but alas!
We have discussed many times, that we should change our weaknesses into our strength; we should try and convert the failures to successes, and it doesn’t happen in one day, it’s a process.
Negative thinking can be very strong and devastating at times. They have a pattern, and usually follow with the question ‘what if’.
If we say that you should never think negatively, that is giving a blank advice. Poor thoughts will occur time and again, because our external environment is filled with varied energies, and situations are not under our control.
If we fail in an exam, we cannot possibly feel happy about it, can we?
But it is important to know how to get rid of this pool of sorrow. Changing the negative thought processes into positive ones, is really a battle which we fight with ourselves.
Every moment, we human beings are fighting internal wars to depict the right and the wrong, the truth and what is untrue. Someone rightly said, the battle of Kurukshetra is only symbolic of the antardandwa (inner conquest) that every human being has to fight.
However, bringing yourself into positive light is not so difficult; follow 3 steps-
- Identify your negative thoughts- To treat a disease, you have to first diagnose what it is and where it came from. Similarly, you have to know what you are thinking is not right, it is a negative outlook to life. You have to understand first that you are imbibing and spreading negative energy.
- If you are having anxious thoughts and worries, that is negativity- If you often find yourself saying, “I am the biggest loser, my life is full of troubles, nothing can be right”, then your thoughts are not channelized. Even for dangerous is the fact when you often ask yourself, “what if”. “What if I get punished in school tomorrow”, “What if these people come again, to threat us”, “what if I lose all my money”, “what if my family dies in an accident”, “what if I have to go back and stay with my in-laws again,” “what if there be regular fights again”, such questions often occur, and when we do not find an answer to them, we start predicting everything which is very negative.
- Self-criticism and beating- If you constantly demotivate yourself with critical self-analysis, it is completely unhealthy. If the self-critic wakes up more often than what is normal, you can be sure, you are being driven towards negativity. “I am worthless, I am not as smart as others, I can never do anything properly”, all these analyses will finally lead to a point, “Nothing can happen of me in this life”.
- If you are always blaming yourself for everything, that is a negative thought pattern. For e.g. “My father died because of me, if I would be at home, may be, he would live”, “I am the culprit behind ruining the show, if I would check the curtains before, they would not fall” and things like that are said by people completely engrossed in the negativity. One of the reason is that they sub-consciously estimate themselves too highly, beyond what they are capable of, and beyond what normally they should do. On the other hand, with such self-blame, they also want some sympathy from others. Hence guilt for no reason is a symptom of negativity.
- If your thoughts are negative, you will always see what is wrong in your life, you will only envision the problems.
- If you always feel that you don’t have enough, you can know, that your thoughts are taking the wrong path.
- Let your negativities be- when you have identified your negative thoughts, you know which are the places they are erupting from. You cannot always turn away from the reality, that is not practical. You cannot be playing the lyre thinking that’s all’s fine when the world is on fire. No, that is not possible. It is sheer ignorance and negligence of responsibility. However, let your thoughts come and pass off on their own. Do not engage yourself in those thoughts. Try to keep yourself aloof, as an observer who is unbiased, can see the truth, but doesn’t react to it, when it is of no use.
- Replace your negative thoughts with positive ones- For e.g. if you have not got in joint entrance and having to study a general course in science, do not think that life is at dead end, never; look towards the good things that this difficult situation has brought to you, cherish the experience of a higher education, higher degrees and thank the opportunity that is making you a scholarly person than just being an employee early in life.
Similarly, if you have lost your job, it is definitely a tough time, but if you have to think rationally, and work properly, keep yourself calm, and think of the good things that this situation is bringing to you.
In situation of financial crisis, you are learning to control your expenditures, you learning to spend wisely, these are positive things that this difficult situation is teaching you.
As we have seen the video, the father could not become a film star in his entire life, but he should cherish the fact that he has been able to spend more time with his famly. He has a good wife and a loving son in his old age to support him.
He should cherish the fact that his love for cinema remained forever, through his job, and he got the opportunity of watching each and every movie that released for free.
So if there is something wrong happening, there are always thousands of good things happening too, be grateful for them.
Besides everything, try to be always thankful for what you have.
Always believe in yourself that you can make things possible.