Sports is among the best career options, available these days; if you are not interested in academics, you can always go for your interests, and one of it can be sports.
A person involved in any form of game need to be skilled, talented, well-informed, sharp and calculative, but at the same time, development of a personal attitude is very much important for a sports person.
Counselling is required and hence provided to students, professionals, employees; so also, it is very much required in the sports field. A sports-person should be trained, at the same time counselled, to make him reach his ultimate goal of success. Counselling develops in a person, a positive attitude towards the game, a sportsmanship spirit, gives a psychological strength and tightens his abilities.
Playing the game seriously and positively is the most imperative thing for any person involved in sports; however, all sportsmen are motivated by their fans, peer-groups, national interests and commemorations, channelizing his energies towards the game is required and a counsellor does the job.
What is the job of a sports Psychologist?
In general, a sports counsellor is responsible for preparing a player for his toughest games, controlling emotional outbursts, self-motivation, imbibing in him team spirit, the desire towards win and infuse patriotism for the country he/she is playing. In particular, a psychologist also does the following:
- A sports psychologist prepares a player for the worst- In a game anything can happen to you; you may get injured, hit, cheated or thrashed; your bruises should not matter to you, but the game and your team’s prestige. A player needs to be fearless, and overcome his shakiness towards adverse situations.
- Helps manage emotions and maintain composure- Playing is not that easy on the field when everyone is watching you. Gaining a small success in the course of a game is delighting, but controlling your temperament is important at all situations, during a game, a player should not be overjoyed or remorse; playing on till the end is most important. Keeping calm during cheats and wrong decisions is also very important and a counsellor helps a player realise these things.
- A counsellor ensures proactive growth of mind and body for players. Physical and mental wellness contributes to overall fitness regime.
When is counselling required?
Counselling in sports, can be required at different stages-
- When a player is demotivated by his/her successive failures in past games- If there is a game in near future, a player requires confidence to practice and play on the field; if he is hung down by past failures and mistakes.
- If a player credits himself alone for the win of a game-he needs to be reminded of sportsmanship and team spirit.
- If a player feels he is insignificant in the team- a self-motivation needs to be developed in him/her.
- If a player is playing for the first time- if a player is going for his first match; at state level or national level, or any platform, he requires some special counselling to receive encouragement, confidence, overcome nervousness and perfect his strategies.
- Counselling is required if a player is too much bothered about his self-image- it is important to take care, that a player doesn’t commit anything unethical or against sportsman spirit on the field.
- It is also needed when a player is playing under pressure.
Apart from the specific above roles, a sports counsellor definitely helps a player choose the right career, based on his/her skills and develop a love and dedication towards his/her game. In fact, the counsellor helps a player in preparing him/her for win and loss equally.