When I was in school, and I had to choose my high school subjects in grade 11, I was confused, my interests were humanities, but not all of them; only English was I fond of, and I did not know what to do, where all my friends were going for joint entrance examinations, hence joining the science group. Then it was my physics teacher who helped me in the first step, in subject selection for the 11th and 12th standards at least.
However, we all complete extensive courses in schools and colleges to achieve something grand in our future, hence it becomes very important to choose our stream wisely, so that we can have the best career, and our dream job.
We are often confused in what we should pursue; should we follow what we like to do, or something that has better prospects! Can we make our art, an objective and career goal? Which will be useful as well as satisfying, are the basic questions, but most of us don’t have the answers from an expert, different people confuse us with their opinions; even today, very few people actually realize the utility of an effective career counsellor.
- A career counsellor helps reflect on yourself; a proper professional will know you in detail, starting from the kind of schooling you have done to the kind of interpersonal relationships you share with your family and friends; in the process of answering the questions you will realize many things about yourself, you probably didn’t know, like what you are afraid of, what you most like to do, what can be your second choice in your daily life and things like that.
- A career counsellor understands your interests, at the same time, identifies your talents and potentials, and then guides you towards selection of your career.
- The counsellor gives you clearly, the direct benefits and banes of a particular kind of job parallely, so that it becomes easier for you to decide while choosing a career option.
- The person is interactive with you, and it is his/her duty to understand if you are into any kind of mental health issues and whether that can affect your professional life, before suggesting a career.
The role of a counsellor is to
- Boost confidence within an individual that he/she is capable of a good career.
- Make you identify your true talent and pursue something in that field.
- Increase your mental strength by being a guide.
- Make you understand what will be best for your future.
- Guide you through your job choices keeping in mind your satisfaction level and return expectation as a candidate.
- To make you understand the importance of career insurance.
- To guide you through in attaining your ambitions.
A career counsellor, not only helps a candidate, but also sessions with his/her family to make them understand the basic equations of growth and achievement along with satisfaction for their child, so that the candidate can utilise his/her full potentials through the job that they choose to do, and hence eventually, it becomes their dream job in terms of prospective income and future security too.
A career counsellor also ensures, that a person is able to maintain the best work life balance with whatever he/she is doing, considering his/her social scenario and responsibilities, so that he/she can have a peaceful and happy life.