Time and again, we have fallen victim to a day when we were unable to complete a good chunk of our work that we had planned to do. The sole reason for this issue, I believe, is the way we approach the tasks. To put in other words, probably our way of doing those tasks wasn't "organized"! Now some people out there might ask me "Are there really any benefits of being organized ?. Isn't it more relaxing and fun to live on the edge and let the things fall into place on their own?" Well, if you are asking this to me, then at some point in time you would have asked a similar question to yourself also. If that's true, then probably you are not aware of the many benefits of actually being organized. It's not about forcefully holding back the fun or spontaneity in your life, but about getting the best from your life that you can have every single day.
Being organized is vital for not only one but all the people out in the world. It makes life easier, saving time as well as your belongings. Consider the following example to understand as well as relate to your daily basis issues when you are not organized.
" Two friends, Ananya and Aashima are getting ready to go to their school. Ananya and Aashima are both running late for their school. But Ananya is stuck because she is unable to find her geometry box for her geometry class whereas Aashima, who always puts her study material as well as all school belongings at her desk, quickly grabs her geometry box and rushes out of the house just in time to catch her school bus. Aashima is already seated in the school bus whereas Ananya, who is still searching for her geometry box eventually misses her school bus."
Nothing more to say, this example shows how organizing is important as well as vital for our life because it makes life so much easier. It surely makes a difference and hence, shows how important organization is since it makes life, nonetheless, convenient to live. The second positive effect of organization is to have a proper balance in life. We tend to spend a very little amount of time on little things and a good chunk of our time on things that are actually important in our lives, like family, your health, hygiene etc. Like the saying goes:-
Amazing balance = Amazing life
Another positive effect of organization is about being able to set and achieve our goals.It also helps us in setting a good example for our friends, colleagues, and children in the family who are watching and learning from us each passing day. To show them the power of organization, is a lifelong lesson for them and someday, they will thank you for it.
But the issue is how to be organized? It's not going to be something magical that will occur overnight. You have to go through a set of measures to ensure that you are organized both at home and at your workplace. You can adopt the following measures and can see the change from Day 1. These techniques are:-
1) Make the target list
● It is really essential to write down each and every thing that you want to accomplish because it is not easy for our brains to remember each and every detail of our workload.
● Make a to-do list on a regular basis so as to keep track of your workload as well as to see how much are you able to accomplish.
2) Habit of "Put in place"
● This is the main reason for the clutter that surrounds us. We usually have a tendency to use a particular object and in place of putting them back; leave it wherever we wish to. So it is important for us to exercise the habit of putting things back in their places so as to avoid the clutter that forms, otherwise.
3) Regular cleaning up
● This technique might sound gross to people who usually do not indulge in cleaning and keep running away from it. But if you actually want to be organized, this is something you have to do. It is up to you on how you want to do it- either on an alternate-day basis or on weekly basis.
4) Cornell's Method
● Organization is not only limited to your home but also to the educational institutes you attend - be it a school or a college. This method was quite new to me but after using it for my notes; it proves to be really effective.
● To follow this method, draw a horizontal line about 6 lines from the bottom of your lines paper. Then, draw a vertical line about 2 inches (5.1cm) from the left side of the paper. This will create a total of three boxes. Use the left-hand vertical box to take down key points, the right-hand pather box to take down general notes and the bottom horizontal box for summary after class.
5) Treat Yourself
The is the final step in organization is to reward yourself for all the tasks that you have completed. Psychology has numerous such examples where giving a positive reinforcement after completing a particular task, increases the chances of occurrence of desirable behavior substantially. So, if you treat yourself for being organized and for completing your tasks on time, it will become a habit of yours and would help you lifelong.
All the best guys!
Author: Akshita Reviewer: Sadaf