You often must have heard people saying, “that guy has charisma," or “he has a charismatic personality."
This means that ‘charisma’ is a personality trait of a person, which is impressive upon others.
The X-factor which distinguishes a person from the crowd is charisma.
Often we have seen, that a well-qualified person is not selected in an interview, but a lesser academically accomplished person, gets the job. We heard others saying, “the guy knew his lines; he gave the interview smartly”.
Now what is this smartness?
Basically, it is not about smartness, but it about an impressive personality trait, which captures the attention of everybody; he comes across.
This charisma needs to be developed for gaining quick success.
Especially, this is true for celebrities. Bollywood and cricket have several such examples where we can see the person may not be talented enough, but becomes popular, because of great fashion sense or #PlayboyImage, which means that these are the X-factors which #PlaysElves for them, and adds the charisma or extra charm required to impress others.
Grooming sessions are conducted by specialists to help develop charismatic personality within individuals, but I am approaching towards a free class for everyone today :)
“Psychologists from The University of Manchester and London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) also showed that small positive personality changes may lead to greater increases in happiness than earning more money, marrying, or gaining employment.” These changes may be termed as ‘Social Indicators.'
Personality is a psychological parameter which is defined by the way you think, feel and behave. Besides your cognitive abilities, it embodies the reaction your give out of your opinions.
However, to develop the charisma within you, proceed stepwise:
1. Identify your backlogs- Different people have different shortcomings. Some may have short eyesight; some may have some phobias; some may have speech problems. You need to identify your shortcoming, and acknowledge it, before going for treatment.
2. Treat your basic problem- Once you realize that your problem lies with your stammering (just an example), go for its treatment from a specialist doctor. Treat your physical challenge first, do not hesitate, meet a doctor, or specialist who can suggest medicines and therapies to cure your problem.
3. Make your weakness your strength- Sometimes physical shortcomings are genetically transmitted, or they are permanent and cannot be cured. Do not be depressed. Use your weakness to be your strength and add that X-factor to yourself. If you have a weak eye-sight, why use glasses! Instead feel yourself fortunate that you are being able to wear coloured eyes (how about, a different colour everyday!) I mean, try custom lenses, which will increase the depth of your eyes and give an individual gravity to your personality. Or even glasses are trendy if they are from #TitanEyePlus
Or if you have a speech problem, use your stammering intermittently, between conversations to give a comic relief, people would be amused and entertained, eventually more attracted towards you. Remember, how “I love you…kkkkkkkk…..Kiran” became famous among the masses, and is even practised till date to express the dismay of profound lovers.
4. Grow your confidence- Talent should always be backed up with confidence, and the self-esteem, that ‘I can do it’. Confidence can come from within yourself or by boost from others near you. whatever you do, should reflect the positive belief of your mind, and your listener will also be able to feel this positive confidence within you (as we discussed earlier that energy is contagious), and will feel confident about you, with some work.
5. Increase your general awareness- Awareness is an important factor for developing the confidence within you. just imagine, you are walking on a known roadway, and then on an unknown roadway, where will you feel more comfortable? Similarly, have a notion about new things happening around you, that will give you a self-confidence to portray yourself as against the rest. Talent without confidence often go waste, even though you may not have any physical backlog, but it is psychological setback indeed. I sing well, but I feel panicked on stage…the audience will not be able to connect with me.
6. Improve your body language- While socially presenting yourself, you should know some dos and don’ts. Your gestures are important for impressing others. Your parts of speech, use of signs, moves can be very significant. Saying a sorry for colliding with someone on the streets won’t make you small, though it is absolutely not a practice in India, but make it one, and you will see the difference in how people react to you.
During a performance, use your body movements positively, to keep your audience captivated.
Besides everything, psychological comfort, and mental well-being are very much responsible for bringing about a positive change in your personality. So be happy, motivated, go through some physical and mind grooming sessions (e.g. go for gym, yoga or take a spa), cultivate yourself, and you will soon add that ‘charisma’ to your personality.