Answers to your emotional and mental health questions by Experts

198 answered, 0 unanswered


07 May
User identity is confidential

User's Question

My wife has been suffering from severe depression for the last 4 years.This depression was brought on by her mother's death , followed by brother's sudden death , sale of family house & now compounded by the imminent departure of our son for his studies abroad.She was referred to a psychiatrist who prescribed anti depressants about 8 months back . She stopped taking them without completing the prescribed course.I have been trying to convince her to continue her treatment but she is just not ready to listen.Over the last few months she has totally lost it & has tried many times to injure herself physically . Our marriage is in the doldrums .Her brothers & sisters live abroad & no one is ready to interfere , bcoz they cannot stand each other .They have a family history of similar depression , OCD's , etc.They expect me to take care of her till death do us apart ! I am left with very limited choice with 2 teenaged kids in the house ! Pls advice .
07 May
Dr. KV Anand

Doctors Answer

May 07, 2016 09:52 PM

Dear, I am sorry for your pathetic condition. Clinical depression or depressive disorder is a neurochemical disorder. Clinical depression is usually treated with a combination of psychiatric medicines, psychotherapy, life style changes, meditation and exercise. I hope your wife is undergoing psychiatric treatment, otherwise, please approach a psychiatrist.  I will not say that it is difficult to cure, for sure, it takes time. Once you make the necessary amendments in your life with the help of the above said therapies and life style changes, learn how to manage the depressive episodes without medicines and learn to relax, the medicines can be weaned off over a period of one year. The best option for you is to undergo counseling and depression related therapy. Take care.