Is reservation helping women?

Responses 5

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Aug 21, 2017 01:36 AM

Hey, I understand your confusion because many people are misunderstanding this right now. There is a difference between equity and equality. Equality is about treating everyone in the same manner without any discrimination. Equity is to provide all the necessary things to people according to their needs so that they all are equal in the end. So, when it comes to questioning reservations and “special treatment” of women I would say that considering the situation we have in India where women are so unsafe, it is important to provide these benefits to women so that there is equality.

We all know that it is very unsafe for women to travel alone in trains and metros at all times. This sometimes becomes a hindrance for women and stops them for travelling freely and independently, which may come in the way of their success. Women are already treated unfairly by this society so we do need that special treatment. Most men do not respect women the way they should and harass them, so until we do not get back that respect and safety, we need the reservations. In this case, we need to achieve equity since we did not get a fair start with men. We did not start from the same position. So, reservations do not portray us as weak, but it empowers us to achieve what we were always meant to achieve.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 13, 2017 07:37 PM

Hey there!

Hope you are doing well.I appreciate your concern over an under rated topic which deserves much more attention than it gets. It is sad to see how in such a modern culture,women are still lagging behind when it comes to basic rights and facilities.Taking the case of metro or any public transport for that matter,we do have special seats and coaches for women.I believe it was started to make them feel secure and empower them because so many women can go to work through these without the fear of immoral acts like that of eve-teasing and the like but it is sad to see how women are putting each other down and how things are turning against us and being portrayed as weak.This should not happen.We have the power to change the world and we can.You know,Believing we can brings us halfway to our goal.I have personally witnessed so many cases where such reservations have empowered women.My friend was able to continue her studies because of a 'single girl child' scholarship.My maid-servant's daughter is getting education after high school also because we have special coaches for women which enables her to travel safely to cities and she can also travel with fearing men.Also,there are so mnay provisions like women helplines and all that help in woman empowerment.All in all,I believe we are growing and getting empowered.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 13, 2017 11:18 AM

Hope you are doing good. You question is good,so thanks for coming up this. I think it's debatable but my views resides on the positive side of reservations. The concept of reservation took place because people realised that there are problems related to position of women and they are not having the equal rights and opportunities that men have. To combat this problem, they came up with the concept of reservations for women which is ultimately opening our doors so that we can also be a part of the domains which used to be dominated by men. Through reservations we get the chance of flourishing ourselves and show our potentials and become successful. But still there are some women who take the wrong advantage of this and ultimately creating negativity regarding the reservations and infuriating men. But everyone should understand that women needs to be empowered and these steps are only meant to improve the conditions of women so that they can contribute equally towards this society and can make this society a better place.

The concept of equality should be strongly followed on daily basis and every place should provide equal opportunities for each gender then there will no need for reservations.

Hope this will help.

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 12, 2017 12:07 AM

Equality is not discriminating among people on any basis, everyone is equal. Reservations had begun to uplift those sections of the society who were the victims of inequality and other social evils. You would agree to the fact that in the past women were deprived of their basic rights and were always subdued and suppressed by the male dominant society. Women in the past weren't allowed to live freely and openly. They were kept illiterate. Thus in order to maintain equality in the society and  help women come out of this phase, reservations were made for them so that they can grow. Till now at most of the places women are not given their basic rights and are suppressed. So reservations thus empower women if the right set of women (suppressed ones) are using this facility. This is no way portrays them weak. A female's body is very different from a male's. Women go through a lot of hormonal changes throughout their lives. No matter how much people deny women needs some special and extra care when it comes to physical health. A woman's body in this aspect can never be equal to a man's. Just like a man cannot give birth. Thus special care in terms of reservation doesn't portray them weak. Uplifting women and taking their care are two aspects of reservation for them. 

I hope I have cleared your doubt. If not you can ping me again, I would try my best to clear your doubt. 

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 11, 2017 07:27 PM

Hey there,

Reservation in any field is helping women, because the basis of reservation was for the upliftment of women,representing them if every field and empowering them.

Since ages,I may not be able to recollect how long,but there have been horrendous atrocities on the females but now,times have changed. People are understanding and accepting the formula of having women and men at par.

But sometimes,women are forced upon enjoying their previleges when they don't want to. Supposing if a woman doesn't want to sit n the seat and tells the man next to her to sit,he won't and force her to sit and occupy the seat against her will. 

Reservations don't portray women as weak. I know it is a special previlege,but this definitely doesn't portray us incompetent to do anything. We are going places in the 21st century and that is brilliant and admirable.

So I hope my above points help you clarify.

Book an appointment