What should a women do in case of domestic violence?

11 Aug
Name Confidential

A women came and sat next to me. She started telling me how her husband is beating her and she can't do anything about it because she is dependent on him for living. Her son is in the child. If she complaints to the police, the husband won't pay for the hospital charges and her child will suffer. She doesn't have a family, her parents died long ago. I didn't know how to help her. A women who is dependent on her husband can't be empowered? What can these women do to help themselves?

Responses 4

  • Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 13, 2017 07:21 PM

    Hey there! Hope you are doing.

    It is nice to see that you intend to help others.Domestic violence has become so prevalent in our culture that we forget about what a woman goes through.There was a time when women were suppressed because they were given high regards and asked to stay at home because of the high value they had at home and now,we only take the suppression part along these years and the value is degrading. We all have witnessed violence along our growth,from maid-servants to some homes themselves.However,talking about the woman,there is little she can do but she can seek help.It is the bad luck that she has to depend on the man for a living but there are so mnay NGOs that help in this field.There are so many women-empowerment institutes and government run policies to help women suffering from domestic violence. Also,the IPC has so many laws against domestic violence and a woman can do so much against it.Merely going to the police and telling them what all she is going through,specially during pregnancy,they will really help and involving these NGOs will ensure that she gets justice.So there are a lot of ways to seek help,it is just the little push the society can provide.

  • Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 13, 2017 10:47 AM


    Hope you are doing good. It's good that you are concerned about the issues which are so predominately prevalent in our society. The condition of women in this century also is bad and women are still considers as an inferior sex and are dominated by men. Mostly wives are harrased by husbands and they can't do anything about it because wives are financially dependent on their husbands. Husbands keeps on telling their wives thta they are good for nothing and are just meant to do household chores and rear the child. Husbands also beat their wives for the smallest of mistakes or to release their frustration of their workplace. But women should eduacte themselves enough so that they can earn on their own and can feed their child also. I think that lady firstly should find a job and then leave her husband. She can provide good medical facilities by government hospitals as they are free of cost, in this her child will get good health soon and she will be on her own. She have to become courageous and should take this step or else her life will be ruined and this will affect the mental health of her child also. She should take up a job and start earning and only this thing will empower her. Moreover she should also file a complaint in police station and they will protect her from the domestic violence.

    Hope this will help.

  • Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 12, 2017 08:34 PM


        Its a very good thing that you brought the issue of this woman to our notice. Domestic violence is a very serious offence which is prevailing in our country and many women are trapped in this. The women mentioned above has been disturbed both physically and mentally. My first option will be that she should inform the police. But since that is not practically possible in the current situation, she should talk to elders. Atleast neighbours and inform them about her current situation. God forbid if things goes out of hand atleast they will come to her aid.

                            She should try to talk to her husband and convince him. The best way is counselling. A counsellor will definitely help in resolving the problems between them. I am sure the team of "eWellness Expert" will be ready to help the husband wife in resolving the issues. If this solution doesnot work out then the next option is her empowerment. Since the money needed is urgent she can approach a good NGO and ask them for monetary help or may be a job so that she can start her child's treatment. This is all which can be done as of now. The woman needs to be strong and bold as this is her testing time. 

    Hope this was helpful. All the best and i hope we here positive news from you soon. : )

  • Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 11, 2017 09:23 PM


    Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. Women are always dependent on man. But I hate to agree this statement. We both are people equally created by god, but How? And Where these differences make sense to people especially to men. Every parents will say this to the girl child as ”You are a girl be calm and adjustable”. I really feel sad of comparison and differences between men and women. As, women whom you mentioned in the post can just sit and talk with her husband about her feelings and depression. If he understands her, it will be good.  “WHEN LOVE IS THIN, FAULTS ARE THICK”


                    If he fails to lend her, then the only way is consulting some counselors or psychiatrist who can really help them. Nowadays counselors are also available through online and one of my best suggestion is eWellness Expert. They can resolve all kind of depression, stress, anxiety and relationship issues.



    Hope, it helps you!!

    Take Care  :)

Book an appointment