Why do people boast?

12 Aug
Name Confidential

Yesterday I came across a disturbing news where a man was performing kung fu on a rope that was tied between one huge mountain to another. He was willing to risk his life just to showcase his talent. Why is gaining attention so important for few people? Is this a case of attention seeking?

Responses 5

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 14, 2017 09:16 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  I think it’s not about people’s  boast. I think it shows their poverty.  I think the man who was performing in the rope has only two reason, One is poverty  and the next is as you said like for the boast. May be the man can  earn something from that, which can help  his family to get some wealth. Nowadays, people always run for their future life to be good and well-settled manner. In this competional world, we should run fast to take risk even in our lives to survive in the race else we get rejected/ eliminated which makes us to stay unhappy and a stressful life.

If he performs for his talent to be emerged in this world, then he his just a dumb who never cares about his family for his selfish attitude.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care  :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 12, 2017 09:36 PM

Hey there! Hope you are doing well.

It is sad to realize that we live in a society where making money and seeking social approavl is of more value than life itself. Little can we do abou it.Regarding the incidence that you wish to generalize,there might be another point of view to it.It could be that the man did it to earn his bread,or he is best at it and wants to dedicate his life is spreading that atlent. But yes,times have become such that people go to great extents for social validation. One very common examply can be that of a selfie.People go to such extents for one picture so much so that they lose their life but taking pictures of the trip to the dream place,or the nearest hill station,at least is of so much value and posting it on social media to make sure that people know how cool our life is,has become so important that we do not realize we might stop existing in the entire process. One of the root cause can be the fact that social approval has been becoming mandatory because people are so judgemental and that they intend to revolve their life around seeking social approval without realizing how shallow it is.

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 12, 2017 07:40 PM

Hi, good evening.

So the question you have asked is about boasting. Let me start with the meaning of boast. Boasting means exaggerating or showing excessive pride about self. If we go by this definition then the performance of the person whom you mentioned was not to boast or putting in your words seek attention. This particular person was willing to risk his life because he thought he was capable to do it. He thought that he had the talent which could be exhibited. There might be another reason for his dare devil nature and that is something was at stake, some issues in his personal life might have made him to do this. We cannot judge a person just by the outside. Sometimes their is a strong reason behind a person's behavior. 

Attention seeking sometimes is a need to solve issues and sometimes it is a need to show talent. Hope this was helpful to you.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 12, 2017 07:30 PM

Hope you are having a good day. Your concern is completely relevant as nowadays boasting is increasing on a rapid speed. Social media is a big platform for boasting. Sometimes people fake the materials and boast about them so that they can fit in the so called elite standards of society. There can be few reasons for boasting. Firstly, jealousy. If a person is jealous of other then only he will boast the things to make him feel inferior. Secondly, when an individual considers himself as superior to others and is proud of himself and is vain in nature, then only he boast about so many things. Thirdly, when an individual is insecure and don't want to be called as misfit then he will boast about things so that he can also be a member of his friend circle. Many people fake about so many things just to show themselves as cool. So boasting is not correct but celebration of one's achievement is acceptable, but once our success is celebrated then it should not be continued for boasting. 

The example that you have mentioned which according to me is not a situation of boasting. Maybe he just want to improve his skills and want to make himself a better person in that skill or it would be his passion to do adventurous things.

Hope this will help.

APOORVA PANDEY   Aug 12, 2017 07:18 PM

Since I am not really aware of this case , so I cannot really comment on the reasons as to why the man undertook such a dangerous task.But in many of such cases, the behaviour cannot be explained alone in terms of the need to boast or the will to showcase one's talent to gain attention. Such dreadful tasks are often associated with an individual's economic needs rather than by an urge to gain attention alone.

Leaving behind this particular case, definitely people taking on weird and dangerous tasks at the cost of risking their lives just to gain attention. Such incidents are on a rise today. The reason being - the wil to gain popularity. In a world driven by immensely competitive tendencies, all are in the mad rat race to become famous and in turn become rich. WHen the usual methods fail, the most common way to catch eyeballs is to try out something new, something different,something unheard of. This may result in cases like the one you just described.

People have actually forgotten the real worth of hardwork. Patience is unknown to them. People have lost their patience and hardwork that is required to climb up a mountain. They would rather jump off a cliff and risk their life than work hard to climb up a mountain.

Book an appointment