Is it okay to correct people all the time?

12 Aug
Name Confidential

i have a habit of correcting people. Be it their grammar or viewpoint. I interfere the sentence just to correct them. Few people get really mad when I do this because they think I am showing off my knowledge but I am really not. I just want to correct people to impart knowledge. It's for their good. What can I do so they don't my habit as rude?

Responses 8

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 14, 2017 09:16 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. Nowadays people hate the advices. They just think like we know everything, and How one can advice us and make us to change our attitude. They think like these, and gets degraded in this society. If someone says something, we should just analyze their view point and if it is well good for our future then there is no wrong to accept it. But also some people shows us the bad way to walk, there we should be alert  not to accept it. So, when you correct people just use some kind words like, “It’s wrong Will you please correct it?” else can use ,”I think it’s not the right way to proceed better I can suggest you something goo, and it’s your decision to follow up”. This makes people to at least lend your words and to think about it. Convincing the people plays a major role when you correct people.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care  :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 12, 2017 09:23 PM

Hey there! Hope you are doing well.

It is nice to know that you are an organized person who does not like things when they go out of order but it is not nice to be rude often.The essence of all ideal inter-personal relations is to make the other person comfortable and nobody learns anything,even if it was his mistake by getting insulted.It only injurs him psychologically and perhaps put him down and lower his self-esteem.It is not advisable to correct people always.Be it the grammar or the style or behaviour. Everybody has a different aura and takes things in a different way and not everyone is very much open to public views.It is acceptable in a way.The magic of being in this world comes from the fact that the number of people is equal to the number of viewpoints and diversity is always better for the brain than similar thoughts,isn't it? To make sure that things are perfectly fine,at your end,please do not hesitate in consulting a mental health expert once. There are experts in the forum,you can have a session wth them and ensure that there is no problem because little things like these lead to worse situations as that of OCD.

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 12, 2017 07:16 PM

Hi. A very good evening to you.

Hope you are doing well. With the question which you have raised above it seems very clear that you are not a bossy or dominant person. You just want to help people by going out of the way. Frankly speaking this habit of yours is good only in certain cases. You want to impart knowledge to people but you cannot do that by imposing it on others. 

In my school days even I had this grammar correction thing. I used to point out mistakes of my friends even during paper correction which annoyed them a lot. But soon I realized that what I was doing was being nosy. As you want the rectification of mistakes to be made and impart knowledge too, I feel you should take a seminar for your class with your teacher's permission. In this way you can impart your knowledge to your classmates and also take sessions for grammar. Giving an open talk will boost up your confidence too and give your habit a direction. Do think about it. 

Hope this will help you.

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 12, 2017 07:13 PM

I had a friend in school who had the same habit of correcting other's grammar or viewpoint if it was based on half knowledge. She faced the same problem as you are now. People thought that she was rude and never left a chance to show off her english skills. Would you like it if people or any individual keep complaining you of you behaviour or habit continuously? Would you like anyone nagging you continuously? No one would like this. There is a limit to everything. People will be fine with you if you correct them occasionally. They would try to stay away from you and be rude with you if you correct them always. You can't impose your knowledge on anyone. The one's who want to take it will take. There are only few people who understand that if someone is correcting them it is for their own good and these kind of people will never complain you of doing so. Rather these people will ask you not to stop doing that. You have to figure out these sets of people. You need to understand who would like it and who won't. Don't say anything to those people who get hurt when you correct them. Let them speak wrongly. It will affect their growth only, you don't worry about them. The people who do care about their language skills will understand your worth and will net get annoyed by you. But I would say that everything to a limit is only good. Try to reduce this behaviour of yours, control yourself a bit from not opening your mouth instantly whenever you hear something wrong. Just ignore and be happy and praise yourself that you don't make silly mistakes.

APOORVA PANDEY   Aug 12, 2017 07:03 PM

You must carefully examine the following points to see how your situation can be dealt with:

• Ask yourself. Who are these people whom you keep correcting all the time? Are these the people whom you meet all the time or they are your friends.
    • IN what tone do you correct them. Do you speak in a tone that makes them believe that you are showing them down or yourtone is a real corrective one.
    • On what all aspects do you correct them. Is it only their language aspect or things like the way they dress, their opinions on issues etc.
    • What is their reaction to your corrections? Do they do something that gives a hint that they felt embarrased after your corrections or they really corrected themselve after it?
    • How often do you make such corrections?
    • WHether such corrections are made in private or whether they are made when they are in public in front of others.

Once you answer these questions you will be able to figure out the solution yourself. Some general things that you need to keep in mind is that. No body likes to be interrupted time and again- be it your friend or a complete stranger. If you feel like telling them something, do so when they are alone and not when they are in public. After all your sole aim is to 'correct'them and not humiliate them in front of others.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 12, 2017 06:42 PM

Hope you are having a good day. I can completely understand your situation because honestly even I was a person like you. I love to share knowledge and people also misunderstood me but I slowly overcame this problem. Firstly it's good that your intention is pure and you don't want to make another individual feel bad or low about himself. It's completely fine to share knowledge because it is one of the best way to create awareness and make other people better. But you should learn to whom you should share your knowledge or correct them. If you are with the people with whom you share the strongest bond, then Go Ahead! because they will only thank you. But if you around people who don't completely understand you, then don't pick-point them again and again because they don't know your true intentions. If they are going to make any mistake which can harm them then you should warn them and if it's in any normal settings, then just let them complete and if you find the place and time correct then you can tell that they had done a mistake.

Moreover sometimes it's good to make mistakes as we are humans and it's completely right to be flawed sometimes. Try to control yourself and except people as they are. Hope this will help.

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 12, 2017 04:24 PM

Hi there,

I've seen many people trying to dominate and force their point of view on others which makes others go bonkers. Now your question is,is it okay to correct people,yes. All the time,I guess no.

I totally understand what you're trying to say, and these show qualities of a good leader,if I dare say. But a very vital quality of a leader you're missing here is patience. 

A leader would be patient enough to listen to every person's view point,try to inculcate every person's opinion into one,shape it and then present the whole as one idea worked on by five.

First off,you need to segregate between people who are willing to listen to you and change accordingly,and those who don't give a shit about anything,but want to fool around and waste time. Because if you correct those who don't care, they'll get agitated and the relationship will be spoilt. And if you don't address to those people who are willing to change,they won't learn and grow.

So remember this policy of segregation,and that's how you live your life peacefully.

Also,never ever make the people who've made a mistake feel bad or embarrassed about themselves or anything around them. Make them feel motivated and inspired all the time. Try rectifying their mistakes in private rather than public. This way they'll be encouraged to learn and grow too. Hope this helps.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 12, 2017 03:29 PM

HI there,

I understand your viewpoint, I was someone who would also correct others' grammar a lot. 

However, I think it's important to realise that after a certain point, you can't force your knowledge onto others. Once or twice is fine, but if the people around you aren't asking for your opinion directly, chances are you giving them unsolicited advice isn't only going to annoy them a little but is also likely to go over their heads because they're probably going to focus more on their emotions towards you and towards your tendency to correct them so often that the actual advice is not going to be under focus. So it's okay, we're all wrong sometimes, and when they ask for your help, it is then that they will truly value it. 

Another thing, decide who you're doing with it. Some people, the ones that you're honestly close to, will be more receptive to it. And they'll also be more likely to be honest with you about when it is unnecessary. Others may not say anything to you directly but might find themselves feeling angry, and this could have a negative impact on your social relationships. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Good luck, take care. 

Book an appointment