overcoming parental pressure

12 Aug
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

Despite living in the modern culture,we all face issue that should belong to middle ages.One of them is the pressure put on the child for studies.It is funny how parents give birth to a child and then raise him/her with so much care and then comes a time whne the child has to be pressurized to study so much so that so many children think of dying. Why do parents put their dreams on the child? Why do they not realize that every child has a special potential and not meant for mainstream fields?Little pressure is motivating na drequired to keep the child moving in the right direction but why that extra pressure?Do they enjoy seeing the child having a bad time in school and then at home an dwhen the child expresses his problems he is asked to shut his mouth and work harder and even demotivated enough to the level where he looses his self-esteem?

Responses 5

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 16, 2017 09:35 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  And I truly agree with your statement, that nowadays parents push their dreams into the child’s future and make them to work hard. Every child has unique talent which can be only emerged by their parents. So, parents should just need to realize the child’s future and talent the kid owes. It can be only done by the child, who need to talk with their parents about their dreams or passion. If a child draws something well and good, then he should just talk with their parent’s about his passion.

Also, should give them a assurance of also to keep up their studies. Their extra curricular activities, should never affect their education.  So, Every parents should be given an awareness about their child’s future.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care :)

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 14, 2017 08:15 AM

Hello there! 

Parents never mean to over pressurise the child. They do this involuntarily. They love their child and they only want their good. 

If a child is under pressure, he/she must speak freely about it. Sometimes parents disregard your rant because they think it's natural for students to cry over these things but they expect you to eventually learn to deal with this problem on your own. To be honest, many of us are shaped better because of this pressure. Imagine not being asked to study when you were in 6th grade, it used to be a lot of pressure back then, but is it now? 

But parents do need to learn the line between being too pressurising. They often stick their own aspirations and hopes on the child without knowing what the child wants to do. This doesn't help either of them because the child is very unlikely to be happy doing what others ask him to do. 

The only way out of this problem is communicating clearly. Children need to have the courage to talk to their parents about these life changing decisions and have an equal day. 

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 13, 2017 08:45 AM

Hope you are having a good day. Your question is something which I guess so many children wants to ask their parents and some concrete answers. The concept of parental pressure is bad because every child is different and is unique in his/her own way, but this concept is still not understandable to parents [especially Indian parents]. The problems lie in rigid thinking, parents considers the field of law,engineering,medicine as the best and most fulfilling jobs and don't consider any other field worth enough to be pursued. This thinking creates a lot of difference, moreover the feeling of comparison which parents have towards the success and income of other children. Parents want their child to be successful and earn lots of money in a fiels which they think is correct for him, which is not good for the child. There are so many students of engineering, medicine committing suicide because they are unable to handle the pressure because somewhere they were unhappy regarding the place they were in their lives. Parents should understand that their a big world outside these three or four mainstream fields and people are growing and flourishing over there also. Parents should allow their children to do what they want to do in their lives and should completely suppoert them. They should ask that whether there is any problem, so that the child feel secured and important. If the thinking of each parent change, then for sure we will overcome this problem.

Hope this will help.

• Anjali Deshmukh
    Anjali Deshmukh   Aug 12, 2017 08:54 PM

Hi Ayushi.

It feels great to hear out from people like you who actually want to talk about these issues which aren't even considered as issues in our society. Parents bring us in this beautiful world. They care for us , nourish us and make us strong. But as soon as the time to choose the career comes, it seems like all the parents have turned into villains!!! I know that not every parent pressurze their children to choose a particular career, but maximum parents just want to put on their desires on their children. It isn't fair on their part to do so. But even they are humans. They too have flaws and sometimes their flaws can cost their child's career. 

Children of today's age are extremely sensitive. And get easily demotivated. Parents should try to understand the mentality of their child and give them options to choose from. I won't say that every parent has burdened child or else we wouldn't be able to see people like Sachin Tendulkar, Lata Mangeshkar, Deepika Padukone and many more emminent personalities whose parents supported them to reach the point where they are now. So this message is only for those parents who think that a child is meant to do what they want. I would request all the parents to give their children the wings to fly up and make there own world.

Hope this was helpful :)

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 12, 2017 08:45 PM

Yeah, it is worth contemplating how Indian parents are so much into getting their child to study. I have not seen parents getting this much strict on their children but I think it happens because the parents think that their children are becoming lazy and they put the whip on their child to study hard. And yes, Indian parents can be said cruel in this aspect that they never understand as to what interests their child. For example a child wants to make career in acting or music, parents are usually against it. It is because of two reasons- one can be that they believe mainstream careers such as law or engineering will ensure more of respect of their child in the society and second can be due to the uncertainty factor which I have heard from my parents.

Why would they enjoy seeing their child suffer in this dilemma of choosing a career? If that is the case I don't think that they deserve to be a parent. A parent is some one who guides and supports their children through every thick and thin. But i don't understand why do parents do away with their love and affection when the child wants to decide his/her own future? Parents should understand that the young generation wants to express and others to listen. It is so unfortunate that parents do not realise this.

Book an appointment