Faith and Resilience

15 Aug
Richa S Karthikeyan

Having faith in an universal power and self, gives us mental strenght that helps us in difficult times. The psychology behind faith and beliefs is very intresting . Is it true that people who follow a certain faith are more resilient? Do they have a better mental health and wellness? I personally believe in the philosphy of life given by Buddha. And ofcourse believe that it helped me in difficult times , gave me hope and patience to go through.

Let us all discuss if all of you have similar experiences and beliefs.

Responses 2

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Aug 21, 2017 01:33 AM

It is true that there has been a lot of debate about spirituality among early psychologists. Freud believed that religion is a form of obsessional neurosis and it grew out of feelings of helplessness. Some of us may also believe that religion can be neurotic, in fact it is. I believe that some people can go to severe extents and behave in extreme manners in the name of religion. However, other psychologists like William James, Erich Fromm, Viktor Frankl and Abraham Maslow gave a lot of importance to spirituality. So yes, even today not all psychologists have the same viewpoint on the effects of spirituality on a person.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with things and if some people turn to spirituality to achieve peace then there is nothing wrong with it. Some people even prefer to go the temple when there is a physical illness or disease because it helps them deal with crisis situations better. According to psychological research, faith is a very powerful tool and it helps build resilience. Especially for people in adulthood, having a belief system guides them through the difficult losses that they experience in old age. 

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Aug 17, 2017 05:28 PM

Hii, hope you are doing well.

Using faith as a healer and a tool for imbibing positivity in one's life is a wonderful way for dealing with mental stressors and even illnesses. Having belief in a power above mankind and humanity helps people that things will be better in the future and channel positive and resilient thoughts through them and those around them. Psychologists/Psychiatrists today should use culturally and religiously modified tests and treatments to make the clients feel more comfortable and feel that the therapist understands their problems in accordance with their beliefs. This step can go along way in helping clients who face religious conundrums in seeking assistance for mental health illnesses. 

Book an appointment