Relationship issues

15 Aug
Name Confidential

hey. I am facing a great dilemma where i like someone but i dont know whether the other person likes me or not. That person is currently preparing for his entrance examinations so i dont know whether or not should i confess my feelings. I really dont want that person to get distracted but at the same time i cant keep my feeling locked up inside me as i have waited for over a year. What should i do?

Responses 3

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 16, 2017 01:31 PM

Hello there! 

I understand that it is difficult to keep your feelings to yourself when all you want to do is express!

Personally, I don't think it's a wise decision to express at this time. He is preparing for his entrances. He might not be in the right stage of mind, he might not give it much thought and admit that he feels for you or that he doesn't. He lacks clarity and insight at the point of time. Besides I really think his academics will suffer if you express right now because he will not be able to focus and will be distracted. 

Like you said, you have waited a year. That's also tough. You have suppressed your feelings since so long. There is no guarantee as to when he will be successful in his entranes. 

Its all your decision. If you really can't bottle it up anymore, then go express. But don't overburden him into making any decision so early. Let him take his time and think about it clearly. Ask him about the future prospects. 

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 16, 2017 06:45 AM

Hi there,

Okay so I agree with what Rasi's written, in that you've known the guy for a while now, you know his nature. You alone will be able to tell whether this is something he'll handle well and not allow to distract him, or whether this will be big news to him. 

I personally believe that if he's motivated to study for these exams, telling him shouldn't cause much of a problem. Just be sure to tell him casually. Don't make it sound like a big deal, and it won't be. Also, don't make it seem like you're pressurizing him to respond to you immediately. If he feels like you're not so stressed about the situation, he won't be either and it'll be easy for him to study alongside this. So maybe just say something like "Hey, just thought I'd let you know, I like you and have liked you for a little while now. No pressure on you to say anything back, I just wanted to tell you. " 

Also, take this advice personally as well. Be relaxed about the whole situation. You're just telling someone something about yourself. It's brave, yes, and I'm happy you're doing it, but no matter what the outcome is, I promise you'll be fine. 

Good luck. 

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 15, 2017 08:42 PM

I understand what are you going through. You have kept your feelings to yourself for a year. It is important for you to share them now but I don't think it is the right time to tell the guy that you have feelings for him. He might get distracted or he might not. It depends on his nature. If you know the person, you will be knowing better how he would deal with the situation. To be on a safer side don't disclose it now. Wait for his exams to get over. Once they are over approach him as soon as possible and let out your feelings. Then don't hesitate to tell him or else all your emotions and feelings will remain inside you and keep piling up with the pssage of time which will not be good for your emotional and mental health. 

Book an appointment