Faking yourself to impress others

15 Aug
Name Confidential

I am a second year college student and the first year's have just joined college. We the second years are supposed to interact with the new commers and get them aquainted with the college properly. We are told to bond with them and make them feel comfortable in college. I have seen some of my mates faking around the juniors. Speaking in a fake accent, behaving like someone who they actually not are, praising themselves a lot, telling that they are the most helpful ones whereas the truth is they are the ones who refrain from taking responsibilities. Why such fakeness? Don't they realise that people will eventually get to know who you actually are! 

Responses 1

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 16, 2017 08:23 AM

Hello there! 

I agree, it's very annoying when you see a person faking themselves into being something they aren't. Don't they know that truth comes out? 

But then everyone wants to be in the good books of everyone. They want to have a better first impression and so they are inclined good things to get people to like them. Somewhere or the other we all want to be liked and appreciated by others. We seek validation from others more than we seek self validation.  

Sometimes people aren't even aware that they are faking it. They might not know that they aren't as helpful as they say they are. It doesn't mean that they aren't helpful, it just means that they don't know. They think of themselves wrongly. In this case, you need to correct them. Not directly but by giving examples from past experiences. Make sure you stay kind and polite. 

Its not a big deal though, whoever is faking goodness will learn. Because faking never helps. The other person eventually gets to know the truth. 

Book an appointment