Wedding jitters?

16 Aug
Name Confidential

Hi everyone,

So recently someone I'm very close to (or used to be) got engaged and is to be married in a couple of days, but of late (for the last few months) she's been very withdrawn, aloof, quiet, etc. She went out with me last night and got a little too drunk and kept trying to call her ex boyfriend, which I didn't let her do. 

Her behavior is very worrying and I need to ask her if this wedding is what she wants but I'm honestly too afraid. I really can't. 

What can be done in this case? 

Responses 3

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 20, 2017 06:29 PM

Hope you doing well. It's good that you are concerned about your friend. I think you should directly talk to her as it's the question of her life. Maybe she doesn't really want to get married but doing because of parents pressure. There can be other reasons too. But you should have a one on one talk so that you can hear what really lies within her. When she will vent all her feelings out may be she can see the things more clearly and will re think over her decision. So it's better to talk to her and try to get all the answers and guide accordingly.

Hope this will help.

• Richa S Karthikeyan
    Richa S Karthikeyan   Aug 16, 2017 05:26 PM

I can understand your situation. She might going through the nervousness about weddings, but there may be any other reason too. Why is she getting married?? If she is getting married for the wrong reasons or under pressure , then , obviously it’s not a good sign and her marriage can be in trouble afterwards.

To find out the solution to the problem , I will advise you to talk to her in detail and find our the exact reason. If she is not comfortable with any of the known person, then she can talk to a counselor. That will help her a lot.

I wish you well and all the best.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 16, 2017 08:02 AM

Hello there! 

I think for a decision so huge like marriage the person should be over their past relationships. Only a healthy end to her past can guarantee a bright future with someone else. 

Your friend needs closure. She might not even know that she needs it. That's when you step it. It's important that you don't stay silent and do something about this. She tried to call her ex when she was drunk, she isn't even aware of her unconscious actions. 

Dont be afraid. She is your friend only. If anything you are trying to help her face the suppressed feelings that she might have for her ex boyfriends. A decision like marriage should be made in with full clarity, if she is even little bit skeptical about her decision, she should reconsider. 

Maybe your friend is too embarrassed to guilty to talk about her situation. In this case if you initiate the conversation, she might get a chance to talk about it. 

Book an appointment