Should I interfere?

16 Aug
Name Confidential

i saw 2-3 extra pens in my brother's pencil box. They were not his. When I asked him about it he told me that someone forgot them and he got them in his desk the next day. He is in 5th class. Should I tell this to my parents or let my brother learn this by himself? Because technically it's not cheating 

Responses 2

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 20, 2017 05:00 PM

Hope you are doing good. It's good that you are aware about your brother's activities. According to me in this case you should not take any action because it's a normal thing and he will return the pens to whomsoever it is concerned if he finds him. He is a kid and will learn about all these things on his own. If you will complain then this will stick to his mind and can lead to creation of stubborn behaviour or he can become aggressive. Instead of complaining you can have an eye on his activities and if you think that these activities take place again and again then you can take some step. Right now this thing don't need any action.

Hope this will help.

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Aug 16, 2017 10:55 PM

Hi there. 

I personally feel like you don't have to be so alarmed by this. Picking up items that doesn't belong to you, and you can't find anyone to claim owenership for the item, is not technically wrong. Now in this case, it is just a pen. However it could have been a problem if it was something bigger and more valuable. With a pen however, I have also seen this happen on a daily basis in my class. People drop pens all the time, and if no one claims it, then taking it is alright.

Keep an eye on his things and if you see a trend happening frequently with more and more things that are not his, then maybe you need to be worried. And if you are so hellbent on interfering then just tell him that next time he sees a pen or something on the floor, then first ask around to find the correct owner. If there is no one to claim the ownership then it's okay to keep but only as long as it is something as small as a pen. Try to educate him and make sure he knows the different and common valuable items such as wallets, money, jewelry, car keys etc, because in those cases nobody is going to claim ownership so quickly. Tell him in such situations he should go to an older person, and ask them to handle it. However if it something as trivial as a pen, then I don't think you should burst your head on it. 

Hope this helps!

Book an appointment