Marriage, a must ?

17 Aug
Name Confidential

In our society most of the adults are married and many youngsters have a belief that after five or ten years they will get married. Why is it important to get married and live with a person through out your life. Can't we just stay a bachelor and live with our parents. If we decide to do so the society will force us to get married saying that life will become easier, more meaningful and happier. I have even seen people who were once bachelors for a long time decided to get married in the end. Do we really need an opposite sex as a companion to live our life with. Can't that companion be our family and friends ?

Responses 5

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 20, 2017 01:49 AM

Hope you doing well. I can understand the whirlof questions that you have regarding marriage. I also had the havoc of these questions and finally understood that marriage is not a must, it's a complete an independent choice of an individual. Alas, our society still doesn't understand this simple concept and force every young person to get married regardless of his wish. Society forces our parents for the marriage of their kids and parents somehow wants the same. They don't understand that not everyone wants to get tied with another individual into a bond. I believe that having a true companion is a must with whom you can share all your things and can rely on but marrying him/her is  a complete personal choice and society or parents should not interfere in this. Aperson can live his life on his own without marriage with his friends, family, beloved etc and can be happy. 

Instead of marriage we should encourage individuals to be a good person and find people with whom you share a good bond and can trust him/her.

Hope this will help.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 19, 2017 08:59 PM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well.Thank you for raising such an important point.

Marriage,even after being a part of the modern times,is still the main focus of life and most of us should agree that our lies shall revolve around it. It is sad to see that how our entire life,we are asked to grow up,become independent and when we achieve success after putting in so much effort after studying and working late nights and early mornings and finally have a life,we are forced to get married. This is the pun,I fail to understand. It is sad how our parents force us to live with someone we hardly know,that being in case of love marriages and how we spend first half of our lives in trying to become independent and when we finally become,we are married off. This is a tragedy.How I wish we could really live with our parents and actaully enjoy life through our own terms and actually enjoy.

Coming to the societal aspect,it is funny how people themselves have suffered from the perks of getting married an dstill pressurize others to fall in the trap.This culture varies from country to country also.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 19, 2017 06:20 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  Yes, everyone should get married. Marriage is must for a life. The only reason is, “To make our life more valuable and happier”. Having a child, wife, relation is something great. If we ask a bachelor, not everyone replies with being a bachelor for a life, at least 80% will reply to be married. It’s not like having a companion with opposite sex, it’s a companion for both. The value of our life is realized if we have our own child in our blood. The feeling is just not be expressed in words, It should be felt.

And think about it that, If your mom/father thinks like not getting married and stay as a bachelor for a life, then you are here. Marriage is not for having a baby, it’s to understand about love, life, adjustment with opposite sex, How to handle the situations?, how to grow up the child”. Many things are inter connected with marriage. So, here I conclude that marriage is must.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care :)

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 18, 2017 06:18 PM

Hey there,

If you've ever fallen in true love,you'll understand that there is this unsaid bond,an invisible thread called love and companionship which ties them together. 

Now, spending your life with this amazing person is again a personal choice, whether you want to marry him/her,stay single or get into a livin relationship,that matter is personal and a choice. I've never thought of marriage being a society's necessity because in the end, it's all a personal choice,nothing else.

But there are people from the society,like your loving parents,relatives,friends etc who want to see you settled and happy. Even though you're happy with whatever you do, they'll force you to get married because people still believe that a bride or a groom is the happiest when they get married to each other.

So to get out of this societal pressure needs guts,and ocne you achieve that level of 'not caring what others say' that's the point of you living your life according to your own terms. And then I'll be proud.

Hope this helps.

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 18, 2017 07:29 AM

Hello there.

I wish the society had some understanding about it. Yeah, even I fail to understand that why our society puts so much emphasis on first establishing a career and then getting married to someone. It is like a rule. When your family members see that the person has completed studies, has a secure career base and then the family members begin coercing you for getting married and have children. If the person lived with the parents the so-called 'life cycle' won't be complete.

Our society does not understand the fact that marriage is not just a legal bond. It has lots of emotions involved along with it. The couple about to get married should know about their partners and their disposition. So as to make out whether they will be able to cope with each other's needs or not. But unfortunately marriage is based on the caste,creed, race and in case of males through their income, but hardly on the personality traits.

Yes you are right in saying that marriage is a choice. Not everyone might be comfortable with commitment or compromising with the needs of the partner.

Book an appointment