Reality shows, Soaps and Serials

17 Aug
Name Confidential

I have seen that children of schools and collges spend a lot of time watching television. If they are spending time watching news, nice movies and discovery and history channels, it is good. But I find that most of them watch sas bahu serials, splistsvilla, big boss, roadies. Why do they waste time watching these which does not give them any values. Aren't these a wastage of time ?  Do they teach us anything ? Can't the youngsters be made aware of what is worth watching and what is not. Why interest in such things? Will not it affect their mindset and beliefs ? Will these help them grow ?

Responses 5

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 23, 2017 12:55 PM

Well,

It's true that such shows don't really teach us anything,but then you need to take into human psychology into account and take a look at how our brains function.

We love knowing about the juiciest gossips and hot rumours, especially of the stars we love,and when they act or take part in some show,be it a boring soap or a reality show,we tend to watch them and enjoy. 

They revere such personalities and tend to get influenced by them. So basically it's our own mindset which makes us watch such shows. Little do people understand that such shows have zero knowledge value, because they're mostly blinded by the greed of entertainment and love for the personality.

A balance must be maintained regarding watching such shows and other worth watching shows. Children need to realise and discriminate between such shows since the beginning. 

Hope this helps 

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 20, 2017 01:37 AM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. Your concern is correct and is relevant to today's time. Nowadays youngsters are more into T.V. series than in sports or books. Reality shows and scripted shows are beaming because people are accepting them and are getting entertained by them. It's true that recreation is important so watching these reality or any shows till a point is acceptable but spending so many hours in a day in watching t.v. is not good for youngsters. Most of students find the discovery and other educational channels boring because they want entertainment which they do not get from these shows and that,s why they are attracted to reality shows. These shows affect their mindset and young kids also compare their lives to the lives of people of entertainment industries. Kids and youth try to enact them and want to do the things which they are doing and these things affect their lives a lot.

Yes youngsters can be made aware of th side effects of spending longer times on t.v. by their parents and friends. They should be encouraged to do something productive. Entertainment is important but to a limit, excess of it will have it's harmful effects.

Hope this will help.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 19, 2017 08:50 PM

Hey there! Hope you are doing well.I appreciate you on raising such a productive question in general interest.

We all have experienced how the television has taken toll over the lives of young people and how badly it is affecting their life.Television has rightly been termed as the idiot box because rarely does it provide rightful information but instead of it,most of the time it is used as a tool to spread false perceptions an illusions.It is funny how people get addicted to it so quickly.This shows how much lonely we all have become even with such a large population. 

Alos,it is sad to see how people are making such shows for the sake of making money and how much they have become a mode of gossip amongst teenagers.The youth these days is suffering from so much of peer pressure that it seems that they have forgotten that they are also blessed with rationale and logic. There are people who tend to be logical but to be ingrouped,they become a part of the group and start doing things which do not make sense to them even. Most of the time,the interest is in the peer group influence and environment also plays an important role here and how it influences one's thoughts.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 18, 2017 08:37 PM

Hi!!!
    Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. And I truly agree with your statement. Nowadays teens, youngsters, kid, adult everyone is addicted to television. When the kid comes back from school, he/she will just sit before the TV and watch cartoon series. It will just ruin their whole life. Even my friend watches Bigg Boss daily and will discuss about the series daily in class. She never fails to watch, but the important thing to notice is, she watches the show in daily timings of 9.00-10.30 and they will re telecast at 11-12.30 she also watches that and also her family accompany her. How the whole family become attached with that fishy show?

However, every personality in the show has been paid, people just become  addicted to show of what happens next?. They never control their curiosity  and control their addiction. It will never help to grow and it affect their mental health very worse. My friend who I have mentioned above will always discuss about the series and will compares my friends with the personalities in the bigg boss home. She will say that, “You are doing like him/her in bigg boss”.  People and student should create awareness to their friends.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care :)

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Aug 18, 2017 11:12 AM

hi there. 

If you scroll down on this forum, you'll see that I've asked a similar question. However mine still pertained to the older generation watching sas bahu soaps rather than meaningful shows.

What I can say about all of this is that people love different things. You might find it interesting to watch the history channel or discovery or even National Geographic, but there is about a majority of people who find that boring. They don't see the interest in it. Some people strive to see drama. Drama causes an unending list of emotions and feelings to be blurred out. It feels good to them to see that their lives are less problematic than the ones on tv and hence give them a sense of relief. 

I completely agree with you though, on the part where things like sas bahu serials, splits villa and all the other quite loud and overdramatized shows have zero meaning to it, but it lives on because of the viewership they get. However there are still many influences from the western shows that have had a huge impact on youngsters. I don't know about sas bahu serials, but i know that western shows are more viewed by the younger population than the older. So yeah, maybe entertainment is the only time they get to rewind and keep their brain aside for a few mins. Maybe it's a form of relaxation because drama causes excitement. 

Hope this helps. 

Book an appointment