Obesity & Health

18 Aug
Nihalika Verma

Hello people, 25% of the children in India are obese. There is a very thin line between being chubby and obese. We need to keep the children busy and active, which becomes difficult in this age of social media. The children are too busy these days with television, tablets and smart phones.

Do suggest the steps so that the children do not become cranky and behave cooperatively.

Responses 4

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 22, 2017 11:29 AM

Hi there,

Generally speaking,obesity comes from genes, because that's how it has been,until recently even over eating has led to obese people.

When a child is chubby,everyone thinks the child is very cute and loving. But when,they grow chubby into a youth or an adult,people tend to avoid obese people,only because they look fat. This very message,of children being cute when they are actually fat,should be removed. 

Yes, a child needs to himself or herself understand that being obese is a serious issue and if not taken care of can lead to various other diseases and conditions. Being a couch potato isn't going to help if you want to burn that far down and live a fitter life. 

My advise would be never to take any kind of tablets or medications to cut down the fat because it may lead to side effects. Always do things naturally. 

Also parents must never involve much of fat foods in the diet of growing children because 5-15 is their age of growing,and involving heavy dose of fat foods can lead to obesity and other related health issues. Give them a proper,healthy and a tasty balanced diet.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 20, 2017 01:02 AM

Hope you doing well. Your concern is relevant. It's an alarming state regarding the health of Indian kids. The lifestyle of kids has drastically changed over the period of 20 years. Since the inception of smartphones and tablets, the playgrounds have just gone vanished. The importance of playing in the garden is fading away. New generation is surrounded by technology from the very early age which is not good for their mental and physical health. All these technologies are making them less active and hence obese. Following things can be done to prevent this:

1) Sports should make compulsory in school for each and every student.

2) Parents should encourage their kids for sports by playing with them.

3) Parents should keep their kids away from technology as much as they can.

4) Importance of sports should be teach in classroom and the real life motivational stories of our sportsmen should be a part of the school curriculum so that students get inspiration from them.

5) Teachers and parents should aware their kids about the hazards of being obese.

6) Parents can make their kids watch some inspirational movies of our sportsmen or any documentary which shows the importance of physical activities.

Hope this will help.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 19, 2017 07:47 PM

Hey there! Hope you are doing well. I appreciate your concern for others.

I totally agree with you on how social media is taking a toll over the younger generation these days and also how things are worsening for the bad.What worries me the most is not the harmful effect of social media but the effect it shall cause later in life.One of the major drawbacks is obesity.People keep sitting for hours and hours and do not do anything productive. All they want to spend their time doing is surf the internet and waste their time on social media. This is so disheartening.Little do we realize that how this addiction can take control over our behaviour and that how life can become a mess with it. Kids these days have become so busy in TV and internet that they have forgotten the pleasures of real life interactions.This is not fair.

What can be really done is to de-addict the children on time,much before that.We can actually make them busy in real life activities so that they enjoy it's pleasure and realize how fake the web is and also are deprived of spending time on gadgets.Also,we can counsel them in their language and use reinforcers to adapt them into good habits.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 19, 2017 05:44 PM

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. Nowadays, not the children even parents were addicted to the mobile phones and television. While watching something serious like serials and if the child cries, mom will feel angry of “whenever I  watch something just interupting me”. Like this and will feed their kids. So, there should create an awareness about these addictions to make a better India. And also, children in India are too weak due to weak women. So, every women should be strong and healthy first to make the child healthy.

Due to the weakness of child, every mom will feel sad so while consulting some doctors they will prescribe some tablets, which make the child to hungry and sleep well. And always eating and sleeping will make the child to obese. However the age is, if he/she always eat and sleep well then he/she will obese and always feels inactive. So, child should be fed with healthy foods, and should make the child to play and stay active always, which will make the child to stay healthy.

Hope, it helps you!!

Take Care :)

Book an appointment