Lesbians & Gays

20 Aug
Rasi M Sethia

I have a friend in college who is gay. He said that people in college are very accepting and open minded. He told that people has never been so accepting to the fact that he is gay. It is in college that people treat him as a normal human and not like a gay person. Why is it that people are not accepting gays and lesbians in society? How does it matter to others, it is their personal choice. People will behave casually and pretty normally with them until they get to know that they are not interested in the opposite sex. Why aren't these people not treated with respect and are made fun of ? Why do people make faces on the fact that someone is gay or a lesbian. Aren't these people just like us, humans ? 

Responses 6

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 27, 2017 06:21 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. It's true that Indian society do treat gays and lesbians in different manner which is not correct because they are as normal than any other individual, it's just that their choice of partner is of same sex. There is nothing wrong in that. We live in a democratic country and we have the right to choose our life partners irrespective of gender. According to me new generation is changing and is more accepting. The problem lies in the rigid ideologies of older generation and middle one. They need to get awareness and should have to learn accepting new things. As India is becoming more modern, rigid thoughts needs to be changed and everyone should be perceived as normal and equal to others. 

Awareness should be spread about gay and lesbian and people should be encouraged to have a normal behaviour with them.

• Radhika Goel
    Radhika Goel   Aug 25, 2017 07:58 PM

HII, hope you are doing well.

The fact that college students today are open minded and do not blindly accept the views of their elders or the religion they practice is evidence of the progressive world we live in today. The LGBT community today does not stand alone, people all over the world support each other. Some American states today have even legalised gay marriage. However, all of this reflects the progress after shunning, discriminating, and ill-treatment of those who chose to love the same gender and humans for who they are. Indian Author, Devdutta Patnaik wrote a book titled Shikhandi which shows the importance and acceptance of members of the LGBT community in even mythological stories. It makes you wonder then how our society went back on its original ideas of love and created gender based ideas!

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 21, 2017 04:49 PM

Oh yes,this people are just like us. And I don't find any reason to insult or ridicule them,none at all,and they're just as normal as us,only with a little difference in their sexu preferences, that's it.

I'm glad that the college is very accepting of gays and lesbians because colleges consists of young fresh people who are aware about the existence of such people and are very accepting and calm in contrast with the older generation who think such people have no right to live and what not. Some have even gone to this extent that there is nothing as preferring same sex and that they are aliens!

Awareness about gays and lesbians is THAT poor in our country and also that as the older generation think that this concept is "new",they've already hated enough of our generations attitude towards life,of course they wouldn't try to understand this and create chaos as usual.

Im quite glad times are changing,with the advent of technology a person has been able to gather information about anyone and anything and this has led to much awareness in the country. 

Glad times are changing. And I'm proud of you.

• Sukesh Loka
    Sukesh Loka   Aug 21, 2017 02:16 PM

I highly appreciate the concern you have towards your friend and in fact the way the scoiety looks at the people labelled so called gays and lesbians. It is pretty true as you mentioned that the society has a different way of approach to these people before and after they are aware of the sexual orientation. It is really disheartening to observe this odd way of treatment towards people despite the world is moving in a rapid force and taking advancements in almost any area where the science and technology is concerned. Although many legal amendments have been brought, yet the awareness in this issue is lacking. Gays and lesbians do have a difference only in their sexual orientation in comparison to others and they are perfectly normal and as a matter of fact they are NORMAL human beings like anyone and they get associated with the society in a perfect pace. It is a change in chromosal behavior that is responsible for the difference in their sexual orientation and they are of course like anyone racing through their professions in various sectors. Here actually comes a question into picture! Does the society look into only sexual orientation of people for their approach towards others and no morals, values and ethics fall into place?

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 21, 2017 08:48 AM
    Hello there. I really liked this question about homosexuality and equally appreciate the fact that you appreciate your friend's concern which should not actually be one. Even I ponder upon this fact that why people treat gays or lesbians as someone who don't belong to this society. I remember when Section 377 was brought in which banned homosexuality, my younger brother said that it is their personal choice. I realized that it is so true. I think this fear of homosexuality lies in the mentality of the people. Perhaps people are scared of thinking that someone can have such sexual orientation and it is pathetic to see as to how this mentality of homosexuality being an abnormal behaviour is ingrained in the minds of people. That knowingly or unknowingly, they resort towards making fun of that individual who is hardly at any fault. Someone with good amount of self-esteem might not take these comments in a negative manner as compared to someone who has not. Or it might further degrade their esteem levels. Your friend is lucky enough to have liberal minded people around him. But still there is a long way to go.
  • Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 21, 2017 01:04 AM

Hey there!

i hope you are doing well.

It is so nice to see how much your are concerned about your friend and your openness towards such a sensitive topic.

Being  a gay or lesbian is much tabboed so that people take false identities and start living lives they are not even meant for.Some people are born this way but others develop such feelings by choice and I think it is absolutely normal being this way.We all have our own interests and there is nothing wrong if one person is not attracted to the opposite gender.It is how that person is that matters and not what his sexual inclination is. The so called modern society is still unable to devlelop fair opinions for such people.It is sad to see how people are judged on immoral grounds like their sexual interests.This is something highly personal and must be the sole decision of the person.People grow up and the realize it and are not children who can be altered differently.It is just that people are so unaccepting of such things till date that they believe in putting such people down.Littlle do they realize that it is their mentality that needs to be changed and not the sexual orientation of someone.

Book an appointment