blindly following society

21 Aug
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

We all are living in the age where social media has become such an important part of our life.We always do what others are doing without little realization that things are going not towards good but bad. Recently,I read in the newspaper how one house was robbed because the master posted that he is going abroad with his family on social media and that is where the robbery was planted.This is so funny.People are doing such things just to let people know that they are enjoyih their life.Nobody is ready to keep their life to themselves.This is dangerous.How do we cope with it?

Responses 5

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 27, 2017 05:26 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. Your concern is completely relevant. Nowadays people have made their private life public and credit goes to social media. The sole aim of social media is to make people  connected to each other. But now we all keep posting our each activity on social media and leads to incidents like this[robbery one]. Using social media is not bad but to mention all your daily activities on it is wrong and can be dangerous. Using social media for a longer time leads to depression and retards our cognitive abilities. Posting each day on social media just to get likes is also not good, because this is shows that we need validation from others and want to boast about our life and happenings of our life.

We should handle social media carefully and cautiously. It's aim is to connect us and should abide by that only and should not disclose much on it.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 22, 2017 09:34 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  Nowadays people are much addicted to social media. Everyone from five to fifty were affected by this addiction. When I was a kid, my mom used to feed me by showing me the moon light, sky and stars. But nowadays every kid needs the smart phone while eating to watch the rhymes and cartoons else the kid will just make a great cry and will never ever eat well.
              Every kid, adult, and old aged people needs smart phones in their daily life. It became one of the  basic needs for the human survival. It’s due to the curiosity. If one gets 1k likes in facebook for the post, then people will get curiosity of posting their life actions and wait for likes and shares. If one goes in wrong way, we should go in the right way to reach our destination. People should have self-control in usage of smart phones and social media. It’s the only way to cope up.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 22, 2017 12:12 PM

With the ever increasing growth of the usage of social media, our world becomes a smaller place day-by-day. It gets easier to access information on anyone who uses it. Hence there is a greater risk of breach of personal security. Thus it is important for the user to decide what he/she is sharing and with whom.
    The incident that you read about and have shared with us is a really tragic one, for who likes to go on a vacation, have a happy time and come back to find a robbery have taken place at his home.

It is true that these days sharing personal information and facts about one's whereabouts involves a high degree of risk. So it is very important for one to decide the kind of information they are giving about themselves on social media. Social media does connect people, but one has the choice of deciding the people with whom they want to connect. Similarily, what one posts on their social media accounts is solely their responsibilty.

Perceiving the social media only in the negatives when a problem due to it arises, in my opinion is being in denial of your own actions. While it is true that people don't want to keep their lives to themselves anymore, they want to share it on the different platforms, they must think about the outcomes of sharing their lives so explicitly on a public platform which doesn't guarantee one's security.

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 21, 2017 07:48 PM

Hey,

Everyone is on social media these days. Even a child who is under the age of thirteen is on social media by putting his/her wrong birth year in order to protray themselves older. The society has become like this. If you are not on social media, you are not modern and it is a big surprise. People invest a lot of time on social networking sites, checking in where they areand with whom, what activity they are doing, uploading pictures, updating stauts regarding their upcoming plans that their entire life has become public. Everyone knows where they are and what are they doing and with whom. People take praise in sharing every moment of their life on social media. They fail to understand that some things are supposed to be kept private in order to avoid gossips, shame (if their status gives false information) and ofcourse danger. People have forgotten the term 'privacy'. The ones whose life is public on social media do face some or the other trouble and I hope with the happening of such events as you mentioned people open their eyes and become more rational.

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 21, 2017 06:05 PM

Hello. Hope you are doing well. I reckon that unless and until social media exists and the hype around it exists, such practices can never stop. Social media has created the air of showing off about themselves. Earlier, we were taught that we should keep quiet and let our work do the talking but in today's scenario, it cannot be the case.

People should be aware of the grave consequence because of the following activities. Either they believe that people should know about it that they are travelling to an exotic location or such safety issues are only limited to our houses. Like we check whether we have bolted all the doors of house or not, such cognition should also be developed for social media.

This can be done by changing the privacy settings from Public to Friends or Custom. Also people need to get rid of this practice of adding everyone in their Friends' List just for the sake of likes and comments.

I have also realised that no matter whatever you post on social media, they actually don't care about it. For them it is one of the means to fill their feed with updates, nothing else. They will talk about it for sometime and later forget it. People should realise this. Hope this answers your question.

Book an appointment