Being a brand freak

21 Aug
Rasi M Sethia

Hello everyone. I have come across people who are  brand freaks in regard to each and everything be it clothes, shoes, bags, beauty products, stationaries, etc. I totally agree that some brands and companies are really good in their products and services but that does not mean that the rest are bad. There are people who will buy only branded clothes and boast about it even of they don't know it's origin. "Hey, I went to shopping yesterday and I bought clothes from Only, Mango... From which brand do you shop from?" There are people who will boast about it abd buy only branded clothes even if they can't afford it because everyone in their friend group does so. Why such behaviour. There are stuffs which are not brabded but are equally good. If obe buys those, he/she does not have a standardand is poor. How can brands matter over friendahip and relations? What is the psychology behind this? 

Responses 8

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Aug 27, 2017 05:17 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. There are some people who seriously puts friendship below brands and they choose their friends who match their standards. But that's not always correct. Flaunting is healthy upto a limit, for example you have hard earned money and want to spend into some luxury and brands, then you should. But to be extremely proud about it or making other feels bad about themselves is not right. There is nothing wrong in purchasing branded goods but to consider other things as bad, here the problems lies. People should understand that everything and every person is different and shop according to their needs and conditions .We should accept things and not criticise anyone based on their clothing brands.

Hope this will help.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 23, 2017 04:49 AM

Hi there,

There are a few reasons why this happens and most of it falls into the field of social psychology.

First, we have culture. A lot of culture attributes a person's worth to money. This money translates to their social rank, the property they own, the clothes they wear, and finally, the brands they flaunt. These cultures usually focus more on what other people think of a person, which leads us to the second point, which is social desorability. A lot of the times, people buy expensive branded items regardless of the quality so that they are regarded positively by society and their community. 
    Very closely related to the above, you also have the concept of social inclusion. Sometimes, to be accepted or included into a group, we tend to observe their behaviours and replicate it. This can even lead to a sort of domino effect, with one imitating the other imitating the other imitating the other. Like you already said "There are people who will boast about it abd buy only branded clothes even if they can't afford it because everyone in their friend group does so" - this is because these individuals do not want to stand out of the group, they aim to blend in. 

Hope this helps. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 22, 2017 09:35 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  Nowadays people were more concerned of what they have? . Everything must be best when compared with others. Comparing with others and getting branded clothes, shoes and bags is just a  very odds and ends. One should come out from this strategy of getting branded item then others. It will just ruin their life of comparing everything with everyone. Some will never ever hear about some branded items but will afford it, as it was said by a loyal person who was looking good. Appearances are descriptive, one will judge the person by their appearance rather than the attitude or character.

As a proverb says, “Face is the index of mind”. But it will never applicable at all the time. Sometimes the character they have will deserve the respect rather than their appearance. 
    One should know that, comparison is like just degrading them self. And also, one should be happy of what they have? else it may leave them into covet all lose all state.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 22, 2017 06:42 PM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well.

Your query highlights two extremely important facts that can affect anybody's life to a great extent,brand consciousness and social validity. Both the things hae become so much important that we have forgotten how shallow their essence is.Coming to brands,it should hardly matter as long as we all are covered.The basic purpose to dress up is to cover ourself up but people have taken it to such great extents and started weighing it like a social symbol.Another unresolved factor is that of peer influence.We all have witnessed how people tend to do things they hate just because they want to be a part of a specific group or social circle.They can go to any extent for that.However,combining both factors bring even worse effects.Buying up branded clothes,even if we do not need them. People have become so brand conscious that they have forgotten the basic purpose of buying clothes.Even if they can not afford it,they shall buy it because of the social pressure. It should not really matter what I wear as long as I am presentable enough.The bottomline sums up to the fact that those who care about us will not bother about all this and those who bother about all this should not matter.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 22, 2017 01:54 PM

Hey there!

I wouldn't be a hypocrite and say I was not one of these people at a time. In my defence, I never tried local things. My parents always asked me to buy branded things because they last long and quality is always good. When it comes to local things, there is risk, it might not be good. 

But then I saw so many people preferring local over branded. I started using local things too, I realised that when you buy local things you can have a variety of things in the same price range. If I buy one top from a branded place worth 2k, I can buy 5 like those at a local market. So it's like a win win situation. 

Few people are actually rich enough to be able to afford these rich branded clothes, then why stop them? One wise man once said, if you have what it takes to flaunt then why not? Ofcourse down to earth people are more liked but I don't think flaunting is that much a big deal. We all have a habit of flaunting something or the other. Social status and power matters. 

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 22, 2017 10:51 AM

Hi  Rasi!

I do agree with alot of what you have said. There are many products which are available in the lesser known brands or those that belong to the local brands and are of a high quality. Often the products from these brands give the popularly known brands a run for their money. However, it is not the quality of product which one looks at the primarily when purchasing it from the high end brands. The person who purchses products from the well known brands just because his/her friends are doing so, he'she does it to "FIT IN" the group. When 4 people in a group of 5 are wearing the so-called "branded" clothes and and shoes, if the the 5th person wants to remain in their group he'she automatically is compelled to dress the same way as the other 4 do, use the same quality of products as the other 4 and in a way adopt to the lifestyle that these other 4 people have. In most situations, this 5th person in order to remain "friends" with these other 4, he/she has to have certain things in common with them, and one of the ways of doing this is by wearing branded clothes, shoes, beauty products and so on. However, in many frinedship circles, this 5th person need not feel the need to invest in the branded stuff because the other 4 are able to connect with him/her beyond the way he/she dresses. But this is very rare.

In my opinion, real friendship is beyond all of this. Sometimes people do have to carry themselves in certain ways just to be accepted in a particular group, but at the end of the day what matters is how they really are on the inside.

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 22, 2017 10:46 AM

Hi there,

As a student of economics,let me introduce you to a concept called as the 'Veblen effect'

Now,a product is categorised under a 'Veblen good', if it's price is higher than the rest of the items, generally they are the luxurious items.

Now,why do you think people generally go and buy products which are costlier? The answer lies here in Veblen effect. 

People tend to buy costly things because we all are in an illusion that higher the price,higher is the quality and durability of the product. This is Veblen effect.

We as a society are under this false impression that if a girl wears clothes from so and so brand,the quality of the cloth would be good,it might be,but this is false. At times,even the goods at lesser prices have equal or maybe more durability than the rest costly products. 

So,the only words I'd like to say to the brand freaks,

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

It's a common proverb and surely fits the given situation. You don't have to be proud or rude about it that you wear branded clothes. That isn't something you show off to people. And why judge a person from the brand he/she wears? Friendships don't require judgementalism. 

• Reshma Venugopal
    Reshma Venugopal   Aug 22, 2017 09:51 AM

hi there! 

Well yes, sadly our world contains certain people who do, say and in this case, purchase things, without thinking it through. You are also right when you say that they only go for higher brands even if they can't afford it. So we would ask why are you going for something so expensive when you can't afford it ? Some people however, are just really loyal to these brands because it defines a certain standard, even if they know deep down they can get the same or better at a lower price. We would perhaps call these people snobs, because we just can't relate to them. But I feel the only reason we can't relate to them is because we ourselves have been brought up differently. When things that highly priced, and reaches "higher standards" people tend to feel more powerful. This is true because whenever you buy something and know you can afford it, it inhibits a sense of power, dominance and a sense of pride. This causes them to believe that anything more money can buy, is more superior than when you buy cheaper things. They probably even go buy the understanding that the things that a  common man can afford is not worthy of their superiority. And that's just it. 

I know people who have like 5 people living in th house, but have about 11 cars. And not like normal cars, but luxury cars. And we could term that as showing off. But honeslty, they just want to assert their power and dominance by showing how much they can afford. 

Hope this helps !