Effective Communication

22 Aug
Sanjna Verma
Hello everyone. I have seen this in myself that I have a good level of writing skills in English but when it comes to speaking I am comfortable with my words but the problem occurs in how I present myself. It is that I need to find my words whenever I try to communicate with others. Why does it happen and how can I work towards it?

Responses 7

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 27, 2017 03:05 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. I can completely understand your situation. There are so many people who are good in writing but find it difficult to express verbally. But this thing can be solved through the following things:

1) Try to have a group conversation with your friends.

2) Meet new people and speak to them and ask about their lives and tell about yours, just general stuff.

3) Take part in debates.

4) Stand in front of mirror and talk about anything which  you feel at the moment.

5) Be confident because you already have good writing skills, it's just you need to be more confident when it comes to personal and public speaking.

Hope this will help.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 23, 2017 08:29 AM

Hello there! 

Dont worry. This happens with everyone. 

You might have great set of words but not everyone can frame it that well. Word fluency and verbal intelligence vary in different people. 

To be able to frame yourself better, you can practice talking to yourself in front of a mirror. You can think of all the consequences that may arise during the conversation and think of what to respond incase it does arrive. 

Dont worry of being wrong or incorrect. We all learn from practice. Nobody becomes a hero within one trial. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. 

Sometimes to make other people understand what we are saying, we over say things. We keep repeating ourselves. While sometimes we assume that few people can read between the lines of what we are saying. Both of these conditions degrade the quality of conversation. 

So choose your words wisely and frame rationally. 

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 23, 2017 04:39 AM

Hi there,

Communicating with others isn't simply about grammatical skills, it's also about social skills. Sometimes, in new interactions, we tend to feel a little nervous or anxious (a lot of the times we don't realise this because it's at such a small scale.) So rather than trying to work on your spoken skills or your English, maybe try to think about the situation and figure out whether a small amount of social anxiety exists? Think about whether this happens to you with people you're close to as well?

Also, I advise you, I know when a situation makes you slightly nervous, you may tend to think of or rehearse things to say in your head before you do eventually say them but I think it'd be a better idea to stop yourself from doing so. Rehearse at home, yes. Stand in front of the mirror and have conversations with yourself if you want too. But don't feel the need to do this in your mind just moments before a social interaction because it will make your brain think you're in an important potentially stressful situation which will make you a little nervous and if at all you're caught off guard, you will lose your flow of language. Instead, calm down, don't think ahead too much, and you'll see that the cooler you are, the more spontaneously and comfortable the conversation will flow.

Hope this helps a little. There are a lot of other such tips you could probably find. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 22, 2017 09:36 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  As a proverb says, “Practice makes a man perfect”.  You should work hard and practice well to improve your communication skill. I can hereby suggest you something helpful,

1. Talk with your friends in English. As you spent most of your time with them and also shares everything with them. You really learn and practice well with your friends and develop a great communication skill. This can help you and your friends gain knowledge.
    2. Practice yourself everywhere and every time. Like, if you  were walking alone in a street with any company. Just take your headphones and start to talk alone in English. This may look like some worse or bad idea. But if you were trying and practicing up, you can get the best results.
    3. Attend more seminars and do more seminars in college. While attending more seminars you can come to know about many vocabularies and the attitude, pronounciation of many words. You should need 3 main things while you learn some language is, “LISTENING, READING, SPEAKING”.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 22, 2017 08:34 PM

Hey,

I hope you are good. I understand what is your issue. There are people who are good in a particular language and have very good writing skills but their oral skills are not that good. When it comes to speaking, they fumble and cannot express properly what they intend to.

It cab be that you get conscious when it comes to speaking. You might get anxious regarding the correct grammar, pronounciation and words as you don't want to make any mistake in front of the people. If this is so, don't get conscious of anything. Be confident and speak whatever comes to your mind. As you have good writing skills, you will have good oratory skills to if you don't worry about how people will judge or think about you. To boost your confidence you can try speaking at home in front of the mirror, looking straight in your eyes whike speaking. Indulge yourself into mkre of public speaking events. This will help you overcome this problem of yours. 

Be confident and happy. I hope this helps you. 

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 22, 2017 06:44 PM

Hi Sanjna!

Hope you are doing well.

Being able to communicate with others is an extremely important skill, especially in today's world and in the field of psychology. But please don't feel disheartened about your situation. I too have been in this problem and there is a solution to it. I am more than happy to share it.

Remember how in school we were encouraged by out teachers to participate in co-curriculars that involved public speaking such debates, extempore and in speeches and oral answers in class? Well, these are more than activities that enable us to think, put our ideas into words and deliver them in a social situation. They not only give us confidence to speak, but in the long run, they help us to express our thoughts and opinions with accurte wording and the correct tone.

I think, you could try talking to more and more people, in person. The more you talk, the more opportunities you will get to express your ideas into words, the more your brain is trying to adjust to situation where you are compelled to speak. Initially, this might not bring quick results but after regular practice you will find yourself in much better condition. There will be some significant changes.

Hope this helped.

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 22, 2017 06:32 PM

Hey there,

I truly understand your dilemma, it's generally the problem with people who are good with writing skills,but when it comes to speaking, especially public speaking, they're are at a loss for words and turn completely blank.

To improve your effective communication,you need to first start practising it in front of the mirror. Whatever your thoughts,your opinion is,just express it freely in front of the mirror,so that you get to see what and how you're presenting yourself,your body language,your eye contact etc.

You need to learn how to be yourself on stage.Your presence of mind must kick in on time and that you should be calm and patient before speaking.

Hope these tips help. Good luck.

Book an appointment