All-nighter

22 Aug
Name Confidential

I have noticed that many of us have the habit of staying up all night and doing our work. If we don't have any work to do, we stay up all night watching movies, using our phone, talking to our friends, etc. Even if we have time during the day time, we still will complete things in the night. It has become our habit to stay awake, get up late in the morning and then hurry and rush to our college or work place. My parents say that they used to go to bed early and get up early in the morning and study and do their work. In this generation it is totally the opposite. People say that staying up awake all night is a bad habit, it affects our health physically as well as emotionally. Yes, I agree that we our sleep deprived but then we our used to it now. Idon't feel any other wrong with me. What do you all think. What can be other negative possibilites apart from sleep issues? 

Responses 6

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 27, 2017 05:16 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. I think that staying up late at night sometimes is not wrong but to continue this and make it a routine will have negative health impacts. Our biological clock gets disturbed and affect our body. We all should have a sleep of atleast 8 hours a day and it should be at night. From childhood to teenage we sleep at night and then suddenly changing the process affects our health both physically and psychologically.  Sometimes it's okay to stay up all night but don't make it a habit. Our emotions depend upon our sleep also, soif change our sleep cycle we also affect our emotions also. So we should go to bed early and wake up early.

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 27, 2017 12:51 PM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well. 

I know how staying awake has been deeply rooted in our generation lately and how we rely on late nigtts and dark hours for all our tasks. It is scientifically true that it is a bad habit and how it has affected our biology and how it harms our body,both physiologically and psychologically. However,we have become so much hooked on to thai lifestyle that it seems hard to give it up. When I moved out of my house to anither city, due to peer pressure or what, I can't really say,I also caught this habit. Howver,I tols my parents about it and they explained how harmful it is and I myself noticed the weariness it caused so I really worked hard to get back to my routine of early morning schedule. However,my roommate is so much into it that she sleeps all day,skips her meal and even outings because she claims to be able to concentrate only at night. This is wrong. It is all in our mind,we have seen how things can change if we think they can. It is all on us to adapt to a lifestyle and it is very easy to get used to bad habits but equally tough to snap out of them.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 23, 2017 09:59 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  And I truly agree with your parent’s statement. Even I too get  scold from my parents for this behavior. One should get good sleep to stay active in a day to do their daily tasks. When one has lack of sleep they feel inactive, lazy and frustrated mood for the whole day. Some researches found that, everyone should get a good sleep at 2.00 am- 3.30 am as it is the time for the human body to do the digestion process and blood purification. So, if anyone wakes up until 2.00 am they have much chance to get affected in kidney failure.

As your parents statement waking up early and going to bed early is the good habit to keep up. As  it can affect both your mental and physical health. Once you follow the habit of going to bed early for a week you can maintain it. You can also schedule your work in noon time. So, you can also have some work to do in noon without any feel of boredom  and also you can get good and tight sleep.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :) 

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 23, 2017 07:04 PM

Hi!

I can relate to your situation so well. Like many other parents, mine tell me the SAME thing everyday.

While I understand their concerns which stand true and is crucial to our well-being, I would also like to bring up the point that in today's time and in this growing age, there is an increase in the amount of work one has to do and the pressure levels on an individuals is tremendous. The work pressure is such that often we find it impossible to get a good night's sleep. Pulling all-nighters to complete the work has become a genereal feature of today's time.

Pulling an all-nighter to prepare for a presentation or a deadline that one has to meet is relatively okay, only if it a ONE TIME THING.But one must understand that pulling regualr all-nighters is only going to yield negative results to our life, health, and well-being  both physical and mental. Sleep is important for the optimum functioning of the brain and a lack of it, or sleep deprivation can lead to long-term and chronic biological illness and diseases. Mood swings, inability to concentrate on the given task, bad short-term memory are just a few of the negative impacts. The brain requires rest, it cannot continue to perform if we don't sleep for the adeqaute hours that we should.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 23, 2017 08:08 AM

Hey there! 

My parents say the same thing. Our biological clock has shifted altogether. 

Working late night is not a problem as long as you have full 6 hour sleep. But if you do your work till 3 am and wake up at 6 for your office then it will only harm you in the long run. There are many negative health impacts which may not only distort your thinking and cognition but also your quality of life. 

It will be better to complete your work during the day time and avoid doing it at the night. I understand that sometimes we are at our full energy during late times but that's wrong. Our body is accustomed to sleeping early and waking up early, there is a reason why everyone follows it. It's evolutionary advantageous. Messing with this won't be good. 

Your concentration and focus also becomes less sharp if you continue working late nights. Your body suffers and your family suffers too because while you are doing things you might disturb them unknowingly. 

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 23, 2017 04:24 AM

Hi there,
    This is such a relevant question.

See, the thing is, we think we're used to this and that we're fine but that's because we've only seen the short-term side effects of it (possible crankiness, skin problems and weight gain (sometimes), etc.) and they don't seem that bad. But the long-term effects are endless. I know, it's not easy to out away our laptop at night - I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't mention the fact that it's 4:20 am while I currently write this. And pulling all-nighters for work, studying or just a bit of an adventurous night are part of life - SOME times. When done cocntinously, this completely disrupts your sleep cycle. And while I know you probably have already been spoken to about the side effects of no sleep, such as disrupted metabolism, dark circles, etc., I will focus on the psychological aspect.

Basically, when we sleep on time, we get a healthy REM sleep period and that's what helps us process everything we've been through in the day, cognitively and moreso, emotionally. We process our emotions and our body sort of 'adapts' to our experiences. As you can now imagine, without this REM sleep, our emotional and thus our behavioural systems will slowly get out of whack, which means we wiill begin to feel and behave slightly irrationally or may face negative moods. 

This is purely from a psychological, and more specifically, emotional point of view.  

Book an appointment