Generation Gap

22 Aug
Name Confidential

I am sure almost everyone must have had at some point in life a heated conversation at home with our grand parents or parents just to prove our point. We have been denied certain things which we wanted to do just because the elders in the family thought it is not right or safe or we are very small for that. This did hurt us a lot and we on our way to convince them ended up in an argument which made the scenario worse. Our parents and grandparents have a different perspective and we have a different. This often leads to clashes. None is right or wrong. They fail to understand that they need to change a bit according to the present time and we fail to understand their concern and viewpoint. This would definitely happen again when we grow up and when we have children. What can we do to prevent this at present and in future ? 

Responses 6

• Aishwarya K
    Aishwarya K   Aug 28, 2017 01:28 AM

Patience, understanding and effective communication. I think these three aspects play a significant role in diminishing the number of conflicts and the severity of conflicts between parents and children. There is a huge change in the environment, lifestyle, economy and habits as generations change.

Think about how difficult it is when we experience minor changes like a change of homes, change of nearby friends, change of food, change of school and college, etc. Isn’t it tough in the beginning? Some of us might even feel a lot of frustration as we go through these changes. However, gradually we learn to adjust to these changes. Similarly, I think giving our parents time to adjust to certain changes would be the fair thing to do. They used to live in a time where lifestyles were completely different and the transition of an entire way of living from before to now will definitely take time. Therefore, we need to be patient with them and we need to understand their perspective of it. 

Additionally, we need to try to communicate effectively with them making sure that they understood exactly what we were trying to say. There should be trust and openness for effective communication.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 27, 2017 04:40 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. I can completely understand your concern. Sometimes generation gap leads to big clashes between two generations. It's becauses we fail to understand each other's point of view and puts our view point superior. Mostly people are rigid in their thoughts and don't want to change their ideologies for anything and this creates the problem. But it's not compulsory that each generation suffers from this problem, if each generation whether the parents or the children keep an open mind and have the power to accept new things and new perspectives. 

Both the generation should know how to adjust sometimes and how to accept new perspectives. This will help to curb the problem.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 25, 2017 02:03 PM

Hello there! 
    I understand this situation and have been there millions of times. One discussion turning into argument. Everything is fine as long as it's healthy and people are actually listening. But after a certain time, both parties just bash out and say whatever they want to without even listening to others. I think, listening is very important. You can say a lot many things to try to convince another person but it won't help as long as the person doesn't listen. Infact, even you need to listen to the person to understand their point, to see things from their point of view. It's unfair to ask someone to understand your point when you are not willing to understand theirs. 
    All problems have a solution. Instead of fighting over things, an adjustment can be made where none of the party wins but adjusts. It's a 50-50 situation. Getting cold or not talking properly or locking yourself in a room is not the solution. 
    With your children in the future, encouragement to talk and express must be inculcated. This habit will decrease such clashes. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 23, 2017 10:00 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. And I agree with your statement that everyone undergo this plight situation in their life. These kind of situations will just make us to feel sad and depressed why elders can’t understand our problems and situation?. So, to cope up this situation one can just talk to the elders about their situation and point of view. Also,  elders should be elders to understand about the youngsters. Also, convincing a person about his/her point of view plays a great role in these situations. Nowadays people hate the advices. They just think like we know everything, and How one can advice us and make us to change our attitude. If someone says something, we should just analyze their view point and if it is well good for our future then there is no wrong to accept it. Also, when you convince people just use some kind words like, ”I think it’s not the right way to proceed better I can suggest you something good, and it’s my decision to follow up”. This makes people to at least lend your words and to think about it.

Also while convincing our elders we should be polite and should respect them and use the kind words. Because as a proverb says, ”Give respect and  take respect”.  We should respect our elders and should use the harsh words in harsh voice. Speak softly and convince the person with your decision.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 23, 2017 11:52 AM

Hi there,

You know the only reason why we wouldn't be the 'strict' parents like our previous generation was, because of updation and skills of adaptability.

I'm sure,every youth here is facing the same problem at home, especially women, because in their times,no one was allowed to interact or wear certain dresses or work or talk loudly etc,but now with the advent of technology comes open mindedness towards certain issues which were considered 'lame' by many,have come to the limelight and are being fought against.

Given this generation,we like to learn,upgrade our selves,just like we upgrade our smart phones,and this quality of adaptability will enhance our will to live with the times to come.

I do not know how far can our generation can convince others,but there will be a time, when everyone will have to bow down to embrace change, because change is inevitable.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 22, 2017 11:52 PM

Hi there,

I think you've actually answered your own question there. It's because people tend to get so set in their ways and their beliefs and the way the work over a period of time that they find it difficult to realise that a little change is very important to progress, and accept the positive aspects of that change when it does come. At the same time, the younger generation is so confident in their changes that they find it difficult  to fully respect the older generation's opinions and like you said, fail to understand their concern and viewpoints. The problem arises when one person cannot see both those sides, and to prevent this in the future, that's exactly what must be done.

People must be encouraged to communicate more. Our decisions comopared to other generations' decisions must seem so different, but with some clear communication, one can actually find that they're not as dissimilar and there's a lot we have in common. With that, we learn to condier others' opinions and respect them regardless of whether we agree with them or not which decreases the arguments. 

Additionally, people must also be encouraged (and this starts with us at our own homes) to consider people's intentions rather than the views. If we look at the place they come from, it's usually a place of care and concern (like you said) and understanding that can help reduce a lot of the problems as well.

Good luck.

Book an appointment