Hypocrisy

23 Aug
Rasi M Sethia

We all have must have come across people who pretend to be someone who they are not. Their face chenges according to the set of people and situation. They tend to agree and disagree according to the people. What they say is actually not true. Their view is opposite to what people think he/she believes in. Why do people have to be hypocrite? What is the psychology behing hypocricy? 

Responses 6

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 27, 2017 01:28 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good.  The psychology behind being a hypocrite is that people don't have the courage to be themselves and want validation from others. Those people who needs conformity from everyone mould their thoughts and views as per the situation. They want to fit in the groups so they do what other says, or accept what others do. People should be accepting but this doesn't mean that should change their own thoughts, people should learn to be an individual and should repect their individuality. They should stand for their thoughts and have the courage to put views in public.

People who are hypocrites lacks the courage and want to please others because  they can't be alone. They want to be in the good books of everyone and don't respect their uniquness and individuality.

Hope this will help.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 25, 2017 05:48 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  Nowadays people are not in a stable state. They were always in a confused state which makes other  ones also to be in confused and depressed. When people face changes according to the set of people and the situation is those people will compromise with everyone and everything. They always feel convinced of whatever other says. But some people really don’t have their real color. They have some intention to do bad for some people by changing their attitude and action towards different people.

So, we should know to realize about the persons behavior and character by their attitude paid towards us.  If people think good and do good then they should not be considered as the hypocrite. They were good people who will be convinced and compromised and adjusted with anyone and anywhere.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 25, 2017 05:47 PM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well. You have raised a good question which is mostly overlooked.

It is true that we all have experienced such people more than once in our life. It is difficult to determine what is going on in their mind and what do they really want from us. Their thoughts are so demonish and their words are equally sugar-coated for us.We can not really predict why people become hypocrites.Few of the possible reasons can be-

1.They are not sure about their own identity.

2.They know they are not nice people so they try to wear the mask of being nice.

3.They want to use us for their own good.

4.they are indecisive of whta they want from life.

However,it is equally difficult to stay away from such people than it is to recognize them.

Their psychology can not really be predicted but one thing is for sure that they do not have a stable mind or a either too clever to state their tru reasosn for behaving the way they do. What goes wrong is the way we judge them We must make ways when we meet them and should trust our conscious and stay away.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Aug 25, 2017 11:49 AM

Hi there Rasi,

I think hypocrisy can be linked up to two things - insecurity as well as the need to fit in or to belong - both of which, again, can be linked to each other. 

As human beings, by the laws of evolution, we have a need to belong. This gives rise to social desirability which makes us alter our behaviours in certain ways to adapt to a group in society. Now because there are so many different groups in society, one tends to change their behaviours accordingly and this gives rise to the hypocrisy that you've mentioned in your question. 

Now here comes the insecurity. The more insecure one is, the more they feel the need to fit in and to act socially desirable. Subsequently, the more they feel the social desirablity, the more insecure one may seem. It's a cycle that will keep going on until an individual eventually slowly starts to state their personal ideas and beliefs in a group, which may be scary at first, but once they realise that it is okay (and also quite liberating to do so), they may feel more comfortable with being themselves and the need to please other people becomes less of a priority. 

• Shreya Narayanan
    Shreya Narayanan   Aug 24, 2017 01:16 PM

Hello there,

I hate only two types of people:

Disloyal

Hypocrites

I would focus on the latter because that's what you've asked. Hypocrisy sucks because the person tends to act fake,and it hurts a lot when you get to know about their dual faces.

Personally,I think it's all about getting appreciation and admiration from people,maybe constantly.

Hypocrites tend to speak something else,but do something else,for example, a girl tells a boy that she loves dogs,but when they approach one,she gets scared and tries shooing it away. She told this lie,or concealed this fact that she is scared of dogs because she probably wants to be in his good books. To crave attention.

At one point,when you're not give your share of recognition,you need to take a stand and sometimes it helps. But then,I personally don't follow this because then it becomes a habit,and there will be times when you'd unknowingly turn into a hypocrite.

Hypocrisy will exist,and you can't take it away,all you can do is stay away from such people and try making good friends.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 24, 2017 08:19 AM

Hi there! 

Personally, I don't really believe in the concept of hipocrisy. We all want to be appreciated and feel accepted by others as a result of which we modify our opinions and perceptions of the world. What's wrong in seek validation? We all undergo these changes. Only we don't realise when we are being hypocrites. 

I don't say that one must change all their beliefs, one must stand to their basic beliefs but it's okay to agree with other people every once in a while for healthy interpersonal relationship. One must not lose their identity to be accepted. These people are not respected by others. 

In a nutshell, I am suggesting that a person finds balance between adjusting to other people and being their own self. I know it's hard to achieve, but it goes the longest. 

Nobody is a hypocrite, we all our just smart people who change according to our needs and demands. I don't see why doing things that benefit you without harming anyone else is considered a negative trait.