Should I obey my parents?

25 Aug
Name Confidential

My parents and I don't look eye to eye. They want different things from me and I want different things. I have always done what they have asked me to do because they are elder to me and they know what's right and what's wrong. Should I listen to them everytime? I think my individuality is decreasing like this. But is it ethical to go against your parents? Would it make me a bad child?

Responses 4

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 25, 2017 11:27 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. I can understand your situation. Parents never wants their child to be sad or unsuccessful. We live in a culture where parents play a major role in the lives of their children till a very long time, every decision of child is made by his parents and that's why we feel guilty when we don't obey them. But I will advise you to listen to them and think on their perspective, if you think they are right or their decision is right for bright future, then go for it. But if their thinking is opposite to yours then you should plan your life according to yourself so that at the end you won't regret. It's your life, do what makes you happy and parents will support you one day because they only want their child to be happy. Happiness only comes when you are satisfied with yourself, so go fearlessly behind your dreams and achieve them. 

Sometimes parents don't understand your journey but keep on moving, everything will be fine at the end.

Hope this will help.

• Rasi M Sethia
    Rasi M Sethia   Aug 25, 2017 11:24 PM

Hey,

All parents are a bit over protective and in order to keep us safe they want us to do everything according to them, preventing us from falling into troubles. But being way too over protective hampers our growth as an individual. They have to understand that if we will not fall, we will never learn. We can't stay under their shelter always. But yes you should not disrespect them. Obey them but when it comes to career and activities, do what you want to do. Your happiness matters first. If you succeed, your parents will be the happiest. In order to achieve something you need to have interest and liking for that stream or activity. Thus in these matters listen to your heart. Not listening to them in this matter will not make you a bad child. When you grow up on seeing you happy and successful, they will forget everything and the bitterness will be gone. I would again say that don't be rude and mistreat them. Never leave their side even if they say that they don't want to talk to you because you will never find this unconditional love of family. No one else but family will stay with you always in all your ups and downs. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 25, 2017 06:38 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  First of I really appreciate you of understanding the reality that, parent’s words were only good for a life.  And clearly understand about your plight situation. You can’t live the life of being fulfilled by obeying your parents words and also live the life you love to be. You can obey your parents words in all time. But you also need to know about to take a right decision in life. You can’t always stay dependent on your parents. As you grow up you should know about to take the right decisions for your life.

Not everyone in their life will obey their parents words. If they like something and it was opposed by their parents. Then they will just live the way they love to be. So, you can disobey your parents words if you love the way you live to be. As life is only once so enjoy it and live the way you love to be.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 25, 2017 05:35 PM

Hey there. I can understand your problem because even I think somewhat like you. Decisions for my life are generally made by my parents and I mostly obey to it. I see that this happens because of the fact that we ourselves do not have our own decisions to make and according to my own experience I think, it is also about the parenting style with which you were brought with. For example, in my case my parents have been very protective of me and always have taken care of my needs. So I think I am more reliant on them because of it.

There is nothing wrong to listen to your parents obviously. They have given you birth and will never ever want you to fall into anything bad or dangerous. That is why they advise you at every point. Especially in terms of career you will see, your parents may not want you to become a fashion designer but an engineer. This was just an example. I hope you got my point. That is why you might see yourself disagreeing over our parent's decision sometimes.

Not listening to your parents may make you a bad child in front of your relatives maybe. Even your parents may be hesitant but as they see you succeed, they will not feel hurt. Just make sure that you work honestly and with dedication towards your goals. Hope this helps.

Book an appointment