The Psychology behind Indian Religious Leaders

26 Aug
Name Confidential

Hi guys,

So with the recent occurances in India, with a religious leader found guilty of rape and with his devotees and followers resulting in violence on the streets and protests, it makes me wonder what the mentality between this leader-follower dynamic is. Especially in India, with religious leaders. What does it take for one to declare themselves a religious leader here and what does it take for the masses to devote themselves to him or her? 

I think it's actually quite dangerous, especially after what's happened recently. Just interested to know the psychological dynamics between this. 

Thanks for your inputs. 

Responses 2

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 27, 2017 12:11 AM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well.

I think I should be able to answer your query well enough since I have been a partial victim to this chaos. Coming to the question of psychology of such leaders,I believe there are a few things that must not be ignored because I feel these all link together and form the mass mentality making such people popular and liked.

1.Poverty-

This country has so much to loss that people are ready to try any new mean to stay in a condition where at least they can feed their family.For this,if the direct route is interrupted,they take up wrong routes.

2.Illiteracy-

There is so much lack of knowledge in the people that such leaders can make their way through. People,majorly do not know the real facts or theories and tend to believe in such leaders who are most approachable.

3.Sources-

This man had real links with politicians to all top-knotch people.He sponsered seats for elections and have super control over administration throygh which he has been escaping.

4.Admintration-

The saddest part of the country is that the administration has so many loopholes in it's functioning that it gives a clear way to such people to build their empire.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 26, 2017 06:32 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. Your concern is completely relevant to the present scenario. Its extremely sad and disgusting that people are blindly foolowing a leader who is a rapist. Masses are taking the lives of innocent people because their leader is being punished for the crime that he had committed. The reason behind is lack of good education and people lack rationality. They are blindly following that leader because he shows them fancy world or charm them with his words. People having lack of knowledge, goes behind his words and do the worse. The thing is that people want to believe in some ideologies which is convenient to them and want to follow them no matter how wrong it is. They want someone to take hold of them, they need to be validated and conformed. That's the reason why people have leader because they need validation and guidance for their actions and these leaders charm them or shows them a fancy world. 

Because of years of blind faith and watching every other person following the leader, they start doing the same without giving a second thought and thus leads to this shameful turmoil in the nation. People needs to be rational and logical and should know what is right and wrong.

Hope this will help.

Book an appointment