Moving away from home

26 Aug
Name Confidential

Hi guys,

This post concerns a friend of mine. She's moving away from the country to study in Ireland for a few years. This is the first time she'll be living abroad and I know it's an experience that everyone eventually learns and adapts to, but I feel that some people end up adapting and thriving in a new culture while others don't. So what are some tips for someone to really make the most out of their experience and live a beautiful life there? A lot of it does have to do with the place itself, but psychologically, how can one prepare themselves to make it a positive experience?

Responses 4

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Aug 27, 2017 10:39 PM

Hey

We as humans are really very scared of change. Change in the lifestyle all together is really very big and it demands a lot of patience from your friend's side. But believe me, at the end its all going to be alright.

Since your friend is shifting to a new country that is culturally very differnt from ours , that is a completely different environment altogether and thus it demands greater self care. Your friend need to take care care of each and every need of hers.It will take time . But once she gets used to it, within a course of a few days, all such things will become a part of her daily life. She will remain occupied and then she will have little time to worry. just  ask her to give herself a little time.

As far as making friends are concerned, ask her to imagine the time she first enterd the school .Just like then, even now it will take sometime for her to make new friends. If she could do it back then when she was younger, definitely she can do it now also, when she is  little more mature.

She just needs to keep her patience and calm intact. Rest will take care of itself.

GOOD LUCK!

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 27, 2017 01:32 PM

Hello there! 

First of all, your friend must be prepared to accept the fact that not everything will go according to the plan. Things will go out of plan, there will be sudden changes and unpredicatable things. No need to lose your temper or feel disheartened. Everything will turn fine eventually. You can't control things and that's the beauty of life. 

She should just be bold and accept things as they come. Embrace the tough time as well the good times. 

Make friends at the new place so she doesn't have to go through all this alone, every one needs a support system, she will also need one. 

She must also give time to herself by going on walks alone and listening to people. Visit new places so she feels the culture and belongingness of that place. It's very important to feel accepted to actually accept things. 

Most importantly, she should not forget that it's an unique and different experience of her life. She must live it instead of being too tensed about how to get past it, everything will get fine eventually. 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 27, 2017 12:04 AM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well.

I have been living away from home since the past four years and I can totally understand the chills she might be experiencing and also the level of anxiety coming along.The best part about moving out is that it is totally in our control and we have the ability to make the experieence worhty.Here are some tips how.

1.Make her prepare for the falls instead of rises.There is going to be a lot to struggle for but she has to pick what is worth fighting for.

2.Keep her aware about the facilities available throught the web through which she can always be connected with all her favorites.

3.Ensure that she has been well-informed about the country,it's culture and the people.

4.Have faith in yourself and that you have all options available,you just have to decide what to pick,good or bad.

5.It is going to be tough and there is no coming back.Make sure she goes with a strong mind.

6.Always remember that the family she is leaving behind will never stop caring for her.

7.Let her not hesitate in taking the first step to befriend someone since she is the new-comer.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Aug 26, 2017 06:20 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing good. I can understand your concern. Leaving one country and living into another for years can be difficult because the whole culture is different from the one which is familiar to us. New friends, new culture, new food etc all these things affect us psychologically but we can make this thing into a positive one. Following things can help you:

1) Have faith and confidence in yourself. Believe yourself and tell yourself that you can adjust in this new environment.

2) Be open to new experience and accept the new things.

3) Talk to many people and learn about the country and culture as this will help to adjsut quickly.

4) Make some good friends and take their help as they will make your journey easier and better.

5) Be in contact with your family members and tell them about your feelings because this will makes you light hearted.

6) Always remember that new experience will be tough for you in the starting but will completely groom you in a better person.

7) Be confident and be you and your journey in the new country will be good.

Hope this will help.

Book an appointment