Is it okay to have sex when you want to?

27 Aug
Name Confidential

I am 21 yrs old. I am thinking of having sex because I have a legal person and if I can vote then I should be able to decide who I want to have sex with and who I want to marry. But my family is very conventional, they don't understand these concepts. Should I still do what I want to do or should I follow their disciples which are old fashioned? 

Responses 3

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Aug 29, 2017 10:29 PM

We belong to a culture where sex before marriage is a taboo and is a shameful act. Talking about it openly is a taboo too. No matter what most of the parents would not agree to this too though exceptions are there and these exceptions in our society are one in a hundred. What I feel is that having sex either before or after marriage is a personal choice. For me it is not a sin if one loses virginity before marriage. If you really want to have sex, go for it. But make sure that whatever decision you take, you should not regret it later. So, think over it. If your parents are against it and you really want it make sure that they don't get to know about it. Keep your sex life private, onky to yourself. Do what you want to do keeping in mind you don't fall into any trouble. Go for it ! 

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 29, 2017 08:16 AM

Hey there. Yeah, I can understand what you are going through. You cannot do much except convincing your parents that sex is something which is a biological need and nothing to be felt ashamed of.

Actually, problem lies in the fact that our culture permits sexual relations only after marriage and also they fear how society will react if they get to know that their son/daughter is engaged into a sexual relationship, that too with any random person.

In case of parents even I don't think there is much you can do, because they have fitted in to it and it would be difficult to challenge these notions. Most of the people their age do not regard romantic relationship as something which is normal.

This change will take a lot of time, maybe generations. Till then, you can only put forth your point. It is up to them how much they will be convinced by it.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Aug 28, 2017 01:56 PM

Hey there! 

We have always been told to go through our family guidelines, to always follow the rules and regulations of the society. We are asked to not do things which harm our family name or degrade our image. Sometimes however we are in a dilemma because society and your heart don't go the same way.  What you want to do isn't unethical according to the society. We are born at that time when we want to change but the society brings us down.  

If you want to be a model, then go for it. If you want to have sex, then go for it. Just make sure that you take all the preventive measures of taking pills or using condoms. 

Also, ask yourself if you are actually ready to indulge into this activity? Or is your partner pressurising you into this? 

There is no rush to have sex. Take your time and once you know, then go for it. Don't worry about the society, it will change someday. But don't let society threaten your individuality and lifestyle. You have your own choices and decisions.