Does education lead to empowerment?

27 Aug
APOORVA PANDEY

This thought has been crossing my mind since the past few days so I thought that i should take your opinions on this. We often say that educate women, that will empower them and all that. Personally speaking although I know what is right for me and I am educated, I still do not feel empowered enough to voice out my opinions in front of my parents and at the end have to give into their views if any such situation arises. This made me question the fact that though I am educated what is it that is preventing me from becoming empowered? WHy is there such a dichotomy between these two although in theory one should naturally follow the other?

Responses 4

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 11, 2017 12:50 AM

I believe schools and colleges can include classes on practicing mindfulness and positivity. They should be taught that if you are determined and willing to view things more positively, then it is possible to change negative patterns of thought into positive patterns of thought. Optimism is all about maximizing the potential of things. It is about leaving the door open for possibilities.

Optimism is beneficial for your mental wellbeing and one should always try to look at things positively. In the case of a rejected person, he/she should be optimistic about the fact that one day he/she will find something or someone that is meant for them. Optimism needs to be steered in the right direction.

Some ways through which you can learn to be more optimistic is by moving on from past mistakes. You should always try to look forward and learn from the mistakes made earlier instead of living in your past which can cripple you. You should also try to look at all the possibilities instead of the problems that are associated with making a decision. Being optimistic is all about being confident and believing in yourself.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 28, 2017 06:52 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  Education will not only lead  to empowerment but also the discipline, a good attitude etc. Educating a women in a family is literally means educating her whole generation. As she can teach many, and also as you said educating will lead to empowerment and the knowledge to empower. If you were only educated you can have the knowledge to empower or govern.  It will just increase your confident level to be in leadership quality, to convince the people.

Also,  by education you come know about what is right and wrong in your life.  Even by uneducated people may know, but not equal with educated.  Rising your view point in front of your parents is not by education. You should rise your voice against any inequality in society will empower you. As your parents will only for your sake, don’t try to avoid their words. But there were many social misbehavior happening around us. Try to rise voice and bring the changes.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 28, 2017 12:44 PM

Hey there. I appreciate your question. I totally agree with everything you mentioned. I think that these can be due to two things:

1) Others around us are not as educated as we are. Whatever things we tell think, it just goes above their head. The thing is that people like you are few in number who have learnt about the rights and wrongs and know how to assert themselves.

2) This can further lead them to overlook your viewpoints. They might or might not know whatever you are saying is right. But still they disagree with you. All because as I mentioned that there are very few people like you. Your parents might feel afraid of what others in the society thinks about them. So that is why, as parents they do not encourage your viewpoints thinking that it is against the societal norms.

Education and empowerment of women has shaken down many stereotypes but the changes, you expect might take several generations to take place. That spirit of questioning the things around us, should develop to a large extent. Hope this answers your question.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Aug 28, 2017 08:21 AM

Hey there! 

What a great question. 

I completely understand your dilemma. I feel the same. I am educated too and still don't feel empowered. Maybe it takes more than just education? It takes your willingness. Willingness to change and bring a change in the society. Most of us want to see a change but are too scared to do something about it. Why is that? It's because we are scared of the society. We don't want to face the consequences that come afterwards. To bring a change and actually utilise the sense of empowerment, one must be brace and have the courage to do so. This is the purpose of educating you. 

Through education you become aware of your rights and laws, you have the knowledge to question the authorities for faulty implementation and working. 

Most of us choose to remain silent because we don't have time to correct the government, nobody knows from where to begin and how long the process of bringing a change take. 

So no I don't think education is the only provides empowerment it might help b

Book an appointment