"Dramatic" or "oversensitive" people

28 Aug
Minaish Dhabhar

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure we've all had a friend who would simply react to situations more than others. And I know all of us experience emotions to different extents. For example, one of us may cry about a break-up for only a few days while another might for years. While knowing this, though, it is still natural to sometimes get annoyed and give up trying to support someone who seems to be oversensitive or dramatic about situations which to us just don't seem like as big of a deal? What can be done in this case, what is the right thing to do without having to just deal with the annoyance?

Thank you.

Responses 2

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 01, 2017 06:34 PM

Hey there!I hope you are doing well.

I totally agree on how we come across people throughout our life,a number of times and how they are over-sensitive to evrything existent. However,they canot be blamed for this since they do not have the ability to control it and it can be blamed on the nature or nurture that they act this way. Everybody is blessed with a different mind and thought process therefore making us differ from each other so we do not have to always think that others will also think like us. Everybody has a completely new and different perception of everything that possibly exists but that does not make us all not interact with each other. The following are some of ways that should help in dealing with these differences calmly-

1.Try to leave that situation there only for a while and get back to it with a cool mind and a solution in head.

2.It is important to realize that everybody has a different thinking style and we do not have any control over it.

3. We must allow sufficient space and time to the other person and see how things are going with them and not impose our judgements.

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Aug 28, 2017 10:51 PM

Hey there. I don't think that much can be done about their nature. No matter how much you try to explain to them that this is a trivial issue and nothing to worry about, I believe it is difficult to convince them unless and until they believe it themselves.

You must be knowing about the nature-nurture concept in psychology in which it is stated that development of a human being is dependent on either environment factors or our genes with which we are born with.

It might be that they have imbibed this trait from someone in their family or they might be treated in such a way that they have developed this trait. I remember my classmates talking about a boy in the other section who used to cry if someone treated him harshly. His mother used to bash him physically for any sort of wrongdoing on his part. Such reasons can be present, you may never know.

I think one should have a knowledge as to why are they engaging in such behaviour. If they do it just for the sake of gaining attention, you should keep a distance from them. If it is a matter of being 'oversensitive', you should be patient and understand their needs, for they need extra care and affection. Hope this answers your question.

Book an appointment