Keeping calm while treating

29 Aug
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

I have always had a thing for helping others, from a very small age and that is why I feel psychology really helps in achieving that,to a great extent. However,there are so many situations when we are trying to deal with the patient and we know how to solve a case but we break down or start feeling so sad that we are unable to think of a solution. How to deal with such situations? Also when we deal with special children,I feel so bad about their state that I either get so sad when I reach home or often I just break down there.

Responses 3

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Sep 03, 2017 01:00 AM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. Your concern is relevant. We do get affected when we hear someone's pain and it's a part of human nature. But that's what our job is, to make oneself calm and to help the patients who are in pain. Its very difficult to disassociate with the situation and to completely focus on solving problem, but we have to learn this. If psychologists starts crying with patients, then patient will be more depressed and will lose hope. I think the more we practice, the more strong we become. Teach yourself to be strong and try to solve as much cases without being affected. The more you do the more strong you become. Its not an easy thing but that's what we have chosen. So stay strong and keep on working.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Aug 30, 2017 08:27 AM

Hey there! 

I have been there. Even I start feeling upset for people who actually need help and are suffering from horrible times. 

Psychology is not a profession for faint hearted. My maam always used to say that take this profession if it doesn't disturb your well being. The problems you listen to from patients at the clinic must be within those 4 walls, don't bring it home. Don't think about it when you are with your family. It will only degrade your living. 

Its okay to feel upset at times, but getting too emotional affects your decision making. Your cognition is clouded with these emotions. Therefore you need to better manage your emotions to be able to help other betters. If you start crying listening to patients then the patients won't be able to be strong. It's your job to have that strength to tell the patient that they will cope up and these times always pass. 

Dont lose yourself trying to help others. There are many courses to be able to better manage emotions and on how to be a good psychologist or how to not let someone else turmoil affect your life. 

Being a psychologist is not easy. It's a very brave profession. 

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 29, 2017 07:47 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern.  As a psychologist you should treat them as a patient and not like your relation/friends. It may be rude to hear but it will really help you. If you feel sad and depressed of helping these kind of people, then you should consult a good psychologist and resolve your depression. So, just train yourself with many patients and many cases. When a patient comes to meet you, he/she have plenty of problems, confusion and the only solution is you. So, you should be clear and bright to help them.

When you reach the confusion state just take a deep breathe and think as a problem not as a person who suffers a lot in his/her life, not as a child who has such bad conditions. Just think as a human who need some help from us, So, let us help with our clean and useful solution. SO, he/she may live happily. You should also need some training and practice to resolve these kind of feelings. As a proverb says, Practice makes a man perfect, just train yourself to deal with people.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care :)

Book an appointment