Does geographical environment affect human psychology ?

29 Aug
Rasi M Sethia

I am really not sure about Environmental Psychology. Does environmental psychology only include the affect of social environment on us ? Does the topography and geographical nature of a place affect one's psychology ? Are the people living in humid area tend to be more irritable than the ones living in mountains ? 

Responses 1

• Piyush Bartakke
    Piyush Bartakke   May 15, 2018 05:01 PM

Hello!

Environmental psychology involves the study of the relationship between individuals and their surroundings. This includes the social environment as well as the physical environment like geographical region etc. There are many applications of environmental psychology. For example, research has found that greenery has an overall positive impact on people by reducing their stress and increasing the relaxation of their autonomic nervous system. Urban planners utilize this knowledge to design a city in a better manner.

I am not aware of any research focusing chiefly on the effect of humidity on irritability. But one 1976 research published in the Journal of Applied Psychology found that humid conditions at sea levels have similar effects on energy levels as hypoxia i.e. a lack of oxygen at high altitude. Another 2008 study published in the Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine found that there is a positive correlation between humidity and mental stress.

For more information, please read The Heat Is On: Physical Effects of Humidity