Social and Environmental Psychology

29 Aug
Name Confidential

Hello everyone. I hope everyone is well. I have just entered second year of college. I was checking the subjects we have in this semester on my college website. We have Social Psychology and Environmental Psychology this time. Aren't both fields similar? What is the difference between the two ? What are the possible career options in these two fields ? Is there much scope in India for these two fields ?

Responses 2

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 31, 2017 03:31 PM

Hey there,I hope you are doing well.

It is nice to see that you have developed interest in such amazing fields that psychology has to offer.However,I would like to confirm to you that social psychology and environmental psychology are completely opposite in definition and scope.

Social psychology is an applied aspect of psychology which deals with and studies individual in a social setting.The area of interests are group behaviour,formation,attitudes,prejudice,social conformity and the like.The focus is on the individual as a part of the society.They follow the saying of man being a social animal.

Environmental Psychology is a relatively new discovery in the area of psychology and studies the interaction of man with the environment,not only social but also natural.They study the behavioors i context of human nature and environmental setting,both natural and man-made.

Coming to the career prospects,both do not have a good scope in India however a lot of research is being conducted in these fields,abroad and specially in western countries.Social psychology still has a larger say in employment as compared to environmenatl psychology because of the vacancies available and the gradual realization of people towards the improtance of social study.

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Aug 30, 2017 09:19 AM

Hello there!

To answer your question, I would like to refer to classification of the branches of Psychology. Psychology consists of two major branches - Pure Psychology and Applied Psychology. Pure Psychology is that branch of psychology that studies theoretical framework of behaviours and other phenomenon. Pure Psychology consists of theories, facts, definition, and knowledge. So, in Pure Psychology, the researcher is going to generate theories and principles about behaviour. On the other hand, Applied Psychology is more of a practical branch of Psychology as compared to Pure Psychology which deals with mostly theories. An Applied psychologist, will apply the theories, facts and knowledge to the behaviour he will see around him.
     Social Psychology is a fied of psychology that falls under the branch of Pure Psychology, whereas Environmental Psychology is a field under Applied Psychology. Thus, this is the first difference between the two fields. The way in which these two fields are alike is that they deal with the influence of the external world on the organism and vice-versa. But, the difference between the two is more than the similarities. Social psychology is he scientific study of the experience and behaviour of the individual in relation to social stimulus situations. Environmental psychology studies the relationship between environment and human behaviour as well as the extent to which they affect each other. These environments include social setting, built environments, learning environments and informational environments. A thorough understanding of the core theories, principles and laws in Social Psychology is needed to get a clear view Environmental Psychology. As a social psychologist, one can have a career in almost any social setting - in educational institutes as well as non-proit organiations and in the industrial setting. Environmental psychologists work with professionals such urban and city planners, township planners, architects, engineers, designers and economists to analyse and advice on personal space and environment.

Hope this helps.

Book an appointment