Depressed without reason

31 Aug
Name Confidential

Hi all,

I just spoke with a friend of mine who called me up, crying, and she said that she didn't know why but she was feeling depressed in the hostel in which we live (it's not a new environment, though, we've lived there for two years already) and that she felt like talking to absolutely nobody and was getting frustrated with everyone, including her roommate and her boyfriend. She didn't know why this was happening and I suggested she go home to take a break for a bit but that wasn't possible for her. 

Any advice on the situation? Thanks guys. 

Responses 5

• Upasana Sengupta
    Upasana Sengupta   Sep 08, 2017 11:04 AM

Hey there! 

I can understand your concerns about your friend. This sudden, strange behaviour of your friend is completely normal, so please dont worry.

I too live in a hostel and also experience these mood swings. They have nothing to do with depression. Sometimes, without any reason, we tend to feel irritated and anything and everything annoys us. You dont feel like sleeping, or studying, or going out, or watching TV, nothing, for no sane reason. This happens, simply, because our brain is tired. When  living away from one's family, the direct impacts are lost with time, but the indirect impacts accumulate. Your friend might not be lonely, but at such times, when she feels helpless, she knows she wont get her closest ones to entertain her. She might be surrounded with friends who adore her, but not seeing her own people rages her up.

You had given the most appropriate suggestion, these mood swings are a sign that the brain demands  a vacation. A short outing will cheer her up, and keep her healthy. If that is not possible, take her out for a quick ice-cream treat or gift her some chocolates, they have mood enhancing properties. But, I would suggest the preliminary action would be to call her family. I have tried it myself, and it really relieves the person. 

I hope she is better now. Take care.

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Sep 02, 2017 11:25 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. Ican completely understand the situation. Sometimes it's normal to feel like this. We feel frustrated and alone and want to cry, this happens but this does not mean that we are depressed. So your friend can do the following things to overcome this feeling:

1) She can go for a small outing and do something which excites her.

2) She should talk to her family and friends and let her feelings vent out, it will make her feel good.

3) She should spend some time on her own and should have a good and positive self talk, it will surely clear up her mind.

4) She should do something which is different from her routine.

These things can help her to feel better and if still she feels the same for longer time then she should consult to some counsellor.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 01, 2017 07:36 PM

Hey, I hope you are doing well. I am happy to know that you are concerned about your friend's emotial and mental health. If she doesn't feel this way regularly, you don't have to worry. It is normal. At times we just get bored of our life. We get bored of doing the same thing everyday. Our daily schecule at times becomes tedious for us specially when you live alone and have to do everything on your own. She might be missing her family. She might just want to go home and relax and not do anything. Ask your friend to either go home and meet her loved ones or go on a vacation with friends or family. Ask her to take a break from her daily schedule. Do stuffs which gives her pleasure and relaxes her mind and body. It is necessary for everyone to take small breaks from our busy schedule and freshen ourselves. While working or studying we tend to sacrifice out 'me time' which is necessary for our well being. When she will come back from her break, she will feel more energised and happy. She would not feel sad then and function more effectively. A break is neccessary !  

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 31, 2017 08:49 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern. You may help your friend in many ways to make her comfort and resolve her depression. You can make her to feel happy when she is class or with your every friends. So, she may have some distraction from her depression. Also, sit and talk with her about her problems, so you may have a clear cut idea to solve her problems. But some researches proven that, if someone feels frustrated with everyone and every thing then the erson may miss someone badly. May be she miss her family which swings her mood. You can help her to move from hostel to her home or your home for some days, to make her comfortable.

Also, help your friend to reach her family at anytime. As in this emerging technological world, everything is possible. Ask her to call her family daily through audio/video call. So, she have some relief. Also ask her to do some yoga and meditations regularly which will rejuvenate her and help her in better ways. If everything fails, you can suggest your friend to consult a good counselors or psychiatrists who can help her to alliviate all her depression, stress and fruatrated mood. And my best suggestion will be eWellness Expert, who were the best online counselors.

Hope it helps you!!!

Take Care  :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 31, 2017 03:18 PM

Hey there! 

It is nice to see how you are willing to help your friend out.Please note that such things cannot be stated as states of depression if not observed for at least a period of 6 months in a row or two years.It is often that we get so bored of things around us,our environment that we tend to feel bad about something.It is human tendency to grow and when we do not experience growth,we feel sad and thereby react depressingly to things around us.However,this anxiety and awkwardness increases when we are surrounded by people,all the time.We must seek our private time,solace which should not include anybody around since we also need to relax and be at pace with ourself. She is normal in thinking of not liking things when things have been this way since a long time. Also,if she cannot change the environment for a while,she can take a break for a day and go out on a date with self,maybe or try being alone for a while or go and do something she likes the most.Also,she can go out with another pair of friends she had.She can also do things she wanted to do but have been long pending.

Book an appointment