Boss's misbehaviour at work

31 Aug
Name Confidential

Hi guys,

Just today, a friend told me about something quite horrible that happened to her. She's been working on a particular project with a company for two weeks now (she's not part of this company but worked with them, sort of as a freelancer) and the project ended after which they all went to someone's house to party. There, they all got drunk and ended up sleeping, except for her and her boss. He insisted on talking to her, told her she had received great reviews, and went on to kiss her. She struggled to push him off but he continued to force himself on her a little bit. 

She has messaged him and he apologized blaming it on the alcohol and begging her not to tell anyone. 

The problem is, she's desperate to find a job and has already spoken to this company about future projects. She says that if she complains within the company, this will ruin work for her in the future (she's just starting her career) and if she complains to the police, her parents may find out. Meanwhile, if she tells her family they'll worry excessively and make her go back to her hometown to stay with them. 

What advice does one give in this situation? 

Responses 4

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Sep 02, 2017 04:41 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. I can understand the situation and as most girls have to deal with all these things. But according to me in this situation your friend should give a chance and should continue to work in company. It is possible that the boss can get really drunk and didn't notice what's wrong and right. If she find that the behaviour of boss is still the same, then she should definitely complain about this in police. But initially, she should give time to both, her boss and herself also.

It's possible that her boss is not a bad person and that was just a mistake. If things doesn't go well then she should definitely seek help. There are lot of opportunities for women, so she should not worry about her future. But self respect and safety are must and she should not compromise with that. She should surround herself with people who help her and motivate her. She should have faith in herself and should not get demotivated by this thing. So tell her to be positive and strong.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 01, 2017 04:45 PM

Hi there! 
    I think your friend should give a chance to the boss. She shouldn't let go of an opportunity. 
    Maybe the boss was actually under the influence of the alcohol. Yes, alcohol doesn't justify his forceful tendencies but maybe he was attracted to her for some reason and was getting reciprocating hints. It could be miscommunication on his part. Everyone deserves a second chance. 
    However, if she is actually concerned about her safety and integrity, then maybe it's better to let go of this job because a person who has the audacity to take such a step might do it again. There is no stopping. Besides if you sign contact then you will not even able to leave the organisation. You might risk degrading your own image because this boss of yours. He holds more power in the organisation and people have to work under him, they are more likely to believe him if you accuse him. They respect him, they will not rebel or take your support so easily.
    It can also be a plus point that you are starting, because this way you are open to opportunities. Have patience.

• Shanmugi B.P
    Shanmugi B.P   Aug 31, 2017 08:58 PM

Hi!!!

Hope you are doing well. I can clearly understand about your concern and feel sad for your friend's situation. I also appreciate you for taklng steps to help your friend. I can hereby suggest you something helpful from my point of view.

1. Better share your feeelings to someone who can really help her and comfort her. So, she may feel secured and feel satisfied of sharing her plight situation to someone. 

2. Nowadays, women have the equal talent and more talent than men. So, she can releive from that company and can join in any other company. Staying in the same company will just make her more depressed whenever she see her boss, she only can remeber the incident and it's natural for every one.

So, can try some good company and when releiving she should lie to her boss that, she is gonna be married sson, or goona to stay home forever by doing some online works. so she may leave without any blackmark certificates. Else, her boss may do something to ruin her life.

Hope,it helps you!!

Take Care  :)

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Aug 31, 2017 03:07 PM

Hey there!

We all have been experiencing such related issues at work places and otherwise in today's time and people label it as a part of modernization which is absolutely wrong.I feel sorry about what your friend had to go through in the name of professionalism and such things become extremely disheartening for a fresher.We all know how first impressions work and I am afraid that she might develop such fears regarding the profession.Basically,such parties were started for a better understanding of the work culture and to develop inter-personal bonds but it is disgraceful to see how and where things are going. Coming to your friend and thinking about the specific career plans she has,there are the following things she can do-

1.She can stay in this company and focus on her goals because it might have really been that he did it under alcohol impression and not deliberately.

2.She can notice his behaviour and if things improve,she can stay and if not she must part ways.

3.She must try telling such things to someone she is close to in the family or to the support group she has because it is important for guidance froma third person's perspective.