Not so good marks

01 Sep
Name Confidential

Our professor had taken a class test a week back. I was very happy about the fact that I had performed very well and expected very good marks. I got the result yesterday. It was not as good as expected earlier. I felt heartbroken as it was the second internal I have performed so badly. I cannot concentrate on anything except those marks. I am not able to concentrate on my lectures because of this. I doubt whether I am worth doing anything. What can I do to get rid of this feeling?

Responses 4

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Sep 03, 2017 09:53 AM

Hi there,

I want to answer this question in two parts:

The first, the importance you're giving to the marks. Honestly, I need you to know that your intelligence, or the effort you're putting in, or the point of sitting in these classes like you mentioned, OR the good coming out of these classes - they cannot be summed up by one number. Marks are not indicative of too much, and we only think they are because of the way our culture and society has taught us to think so but this is changing, and people give less important to grades, scores and marks today and more to genuine knowledge. And this genuine knowledge is what you should focus on and build upon. This is what you should consider important, and the ONLY reason the marks are important is to let you know which areas you should learn more about and motivate you to do so. 

So please please do not be upset, because all of us, and I personally, have gotten plenty of 10s and 5s and 1s and even 0s in life and have managed to take something positive out of it. 

The second is, if you're not sure you're getting much out of your study method, you could always do some research on the different ways of studying. Again, don't blindly follow the rote learning pattern that a lot of our institutions promote but find one that works for you, an you'll feel a lot better. 

Good luck. 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 02, 2017 07:58 PM

Hey there!

Please ,please do not let two tests of a little part of the syllabi define your intellect.We all have our ups and downs in life,we fail in things that are of greater value than tests yet the one who succeeds is the one who learns from his mistakes and rises up.We all make mistakes,they should be an experience of the things that did not work out and must not be counted as failure. It must be treated as steps that did not work.

Coming to your situation specifically, it is not about one or two tests but that there must have been something that went wrong. Maybe you can reconsider the things you have studied.Try if you can get the answer sheet and the sheet of someone who scored well,also keep the book in front of you and compare the answers and see where things went wrong.That will give you a fair idea of what went wrong and there you can improve for future exams also.Please do not lower your morale just based on one single test,let that not shape your future,learn from the gloomiest thing you have done and work harder and improve thereby. Good luck!

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Sep 02, 2017 03:56 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. I can understand your situation. In a student's life marks play a strong role but always remember that knowledge always prevails and in the end what matters the most is your skill, talent and knowledge and not your marks. Many a times it happens that you do things well but result doesn't comes in your favour, so in that situtaion we should not ponder on that again and again but should learn from our mistake and should move on. So you should also learn that where you have done mistake and accept it , work on it.

You can also listento some relaxing and soothing music. Have a little dayout or hangout with friends so that you can refresh yourself. Do meditation and take a good sleep. All these things will help you to overcome your problem. Always remember that marks are not the only thing that matter. knowledge does.

Hope this will help.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 01, 2017 10:03 PM

Hey,

I think you overthinking. You are stuck to the fact that you scored bad that too in two internals. Stop thinking about it and gain back your focus and study. If you keep thinking about it, your time will be wasted and thus automatically your next internals will go bad. You didn't perform up to the mark this time. It is okay. Put in a bit more efforts and you will perform much better the next time. Please don't lose hope. Keep working on your flaws. Don't be overconfident on seeing the questions. Be calm and write the answers. Study with interset and you will improve. Don't stydy for just the sake of scoring good. Study for getting knowledge. When you see your answer script check where you went wrong and note that in your notebook. When you study for your finals make sure you don't make that mistake again. If you did not score well that does not mean that you are not worthy. Motivate your self with positive thoughts. Stop thinking about those marks. It is past now, you cannot change it but you can definitely work on your future. So don't waste time anymore thinking about that. Gain back your focus and work hard. All the best :) You will do well.

Book an appointment