why do we fear loving others

02 Sep
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

So recently,I watched this movie called-Patch adams.It dealt with how a mentally unstable man ran out of the mental hospital and then eventually into a medical school and how he wanted to help others through innovative ways. That made me feel that we all constantly push the patients to seek clinical help and guidance but we all have forgotten the amazing impact of genuine concern and love,the wonders it can do.We tend to forget how things can change through the magic of love.What is it that stops us from caring for somebody,even if we know that how much that person needs love and support?

Responses 2

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Sep 02, 2017 03:22 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. I like the theme of your concern and it's something which requires our great attention. According to me it's our lack of empathy which stops us from understanding their actual condition and treating them in a scientic wat rather than in more humanistic way. It's completely true that love can heal or can work as a catalyst in  the treatment especially of people with mental disorders. But we fail to understand this simple concept because of the stigma we hold regarding the people having mental problems. We always treat mental patients in mostly inhumane way, keep them off from society and completely isolate them and this thing is still prevalent in our society. When this stereotype will fade away, only then we can treat them with love and care.

Sometimes doctors also don't show empathy to them and behave in a wrong manner and somehow make our stereotype more strong. It has to be start with from the very basic level and each person has to become sensitive towards people with mental conditions. Other than medicines, family members and friends should take care of patient in the most loving way.

Love is the only thing which they require and can improve their conditions in faster way.

• Shubhanshi Singh
    Shubhanshi Singh   Sep 02, 2017 01:36 PM

Hi there! 

I am aware of the power of love. How genuine love and care can actually make a person feel better instantly. We all have experienced it. Studies have shown that cancer patients who were showered with love by their family members recovered better. 

Then why do we give up? We give up because we get tired. For a person who is going through a long term disorder, it's very unlikely to show love all the time. Sometimes the caregivers undergo burnout and stres. It's very common. Taking care of people becomes hectic and starts interfering with your life. It's impossible to balance out everything. Therefore, people are sent to hospitals and nurses look after them. It's not the same with nurses, they can't be affectionate like family members can. 

Maybe we need to learn to be patient and understand how much our efforts and expression of love is helping the person. 

We should maintain calm and try to make as much effort as we can. However, it's important that caregivers also take rest otherwise they won't be able to express concern or love. They will think of it as a routine.