Not feeling like doing work at one point

02 Sep
Sanjna Verma

Hello everyone! Whenever I have been given a job to do whether it is studies or anything else, I always try and do my best, but there is one saturation point which occurs wherein I feel like leaving everything I do even though I have lots of work at hand. Is it normal to feel so? How should I get rid of this feeling?

Responses 5

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 11, 2017 12:34 AM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well. 

please know that it is absolutely normal to feel this way because I feel this way most of the time and most of the humans feel This Way most of the time. We all have our saturation points regarding everything and anything we do in our life and there is nothing wrong in saying that everybody has a varied saturation point which varies from individual to individual some feel exhausted after working out for half an hour to say and the others do not feel have exhausted even if they work out for more than 3 hours. It is absolutely normal to work at your own Pace and according to your own biological and psychological belief and it is not important to compare yourself and your workability with others all the time it is the output that should be considered more than the style of working. What matters is when you are putting your hundred percent into one thing that will yield more output then when you are putting 10% of yourself into 10 things. So it is nice that you are interested in something that you like doing and be good at it because everybody is good at a different things and everybody has a difference of perspective regarding everything so we cannot be like others all the time.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 05, 2017 04:42 PM

Hi there!
    A person reaches their saturation point when they know they can't do enough. Don't confuse it with anything else. Sometimes people don't feel like doing anything as soon as they begin, that's not saturation. That's laziness. A saturation point is reached when a person has already done enough but can't do any more. They are mentally exhausted. Besides whatever you do after reaching this point won't be too effective. You might struggle. The work becomes tougher than it's supposed to be. Your energy keeps on decelerating. I don't think you should to drive work if you are so saturated. You are not at your best state of mind and won't be able to produce effective results.
    Sometimes we need to work even after reaching saturation, the situation demands it. In these situations you should consider going out for a walk to get refreshed or listen to songs or indulge into a short activity. It's been proved that power naps are also very effective in combating sleepiness. So just sleep for 15-20 mins without worrying. Believe in yourself and your ability. From next time, learn to complete tasks on time and make a schedule.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Sep 03, 2017 08:00 AM

Hi Sanjana,

I hope you are doing well. 

I think I should let you know that what you're facing isn't rare. It's common, especially amongst younger people and college-going students. There could be a lot of reasons why this happens to you, but I think you should start of by looking carefully at the nature or the type of work. 

See, the thing is, when we get work, we dive right in. We don't look for the benefit of the work (I'm not talking in terms of a reward, I'm talking in terms of the value it adds to your lives or the learning through it) and we don't seek passion in this work. Which is why, after a certain point, we feel disconnected to it. The solution here is thus to find something we're passionate enough about, something we care enough about. Once you have that, you can actually get yourself to be motivated through any work. 

You can figure out what kind of work you like by actually trying a bunch of different things : so use that as your motivation to power through a lot of work when you're not sure you can complete it. 

Also, another suggestion, tell people about it. So that when you feel like giving up, you'll feel a little pressured to complete it. Also, your friends will help motivate you if you ask them to, I'm sure. 

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 03, 2017 12:09 AM

Yes, it is completely normal to feel like that. You feel like stop doing everything and leaving all the tasks aside because you are tired, exhausted or even bored. Every individual has a certain limit of doing work like you said a saturation point. Once it is passed you feel exhausted and you stop doing whatever you are doing. At times it can be boredom instead of exhaustion. Once your saturation point is passed your mind does not registers anything anymore. By this time it is way too occupied with information and it needs time to absorb them all. I would suggest that you take small breaks of 5-10 minutes in between work or studies. Don't make a heavy schedule for yourself. For example your study routine of a day should include both easy and tough subjects so that a balance is attained. Simialrly your work schedule can be formed with a mixture of easy and dufficult tasks. Easy things can be done fast, difficult things need more attention and energy. So if the entire day you do difficult things, you will get tired fast and in the end your creativity will be lost too. Your schedule should be a mixture of different things.  Don't procrastinate. Procrastination leads to exhaustion soon as you are stressed and under pressure since you have to complete the task that day itself. Manage your work, do a bit at a time. If you don't feel like doing something, leave it and sleep. Get up the next day with a fresh mind and resume your work. 

• Priya Parwani
    Priya Parwani   Sep 02, 2017 08:55 PM

Hello.

Hope you doing well. Ican completely understand your situation. It's normal to feel like this sometimes where you want to leave everything and just want to lie down. But if this feeling occurs quite a few times, then it's a matter of concern. You can do the following things to stop this feeling:

1) Do one task at a time. Multi tasking will only decrease your efficiency and increase your burden.

2) Take breaks when you study and do some other work.

3) Relax yourself and have some alone or me time. Do something which excites and motivates you.

4) Listen to good music and soothe yourself.

5) Hangout with your friends. Share your feeling to your friends and family members.

6) Don't stress much and practice meditation also.

Trust the process and you will be fine soon.