little importance of psychology

03 Sep
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

Since most of us are a part of the Indian sub-continent and have observed the tremendous growth of the area in recent years,I want to know what has hindered the growth of psychology as a science and area of employment? Why do psychologists,even after studying so much and in so much detail have to sit idle or unemployed or least to say,satisfy themselves with a pay that is much less than what they deserve.Even Bhutan,who has a lower economy than us is high on spnding for psychological health than us. Also,why are we still are not ready to accept it's importance?

Responses 3

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Sep 07, 2017 10:55 AM

Hi Ayushi, 

You're right, the industry has really come up in the recent years, and you're also right about it still not being considered important enough. 

I think psychology is not paid much attention to in India is because mental health is not somethig that's spoken about enough. In our societies, we try to talk about technology to keep pace with the world - thus, the IT industry is booming. We talk about money and economics a lot - the commerce industry is thus at a high. However, we don't talk about - and this is because of generations of ignorance of mental health - psychology and mental stress and mental disorders. The stigma surrounding the topics does not only stop the topics from being dicussed, but decreases education on the matters, and thus decreases people's awareness of the importance. 

Another thing is, in terms of mental healthcare and clinical practice, India as a country is much more trusting of medicine. The whole medical field is very glorified in India, as we know by the number of students pressurized into taking it. Thus, it is only natural for people to feel much more prone to opt for psychiatrists and drug-based treatment than typical counselling or therapy. 

I have to admit, though, I  do think it is slowly changing. We all just have to do our best to push that change forward.

Thank you. 

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Sep 04, 2017 07:28 PM

Hey. Hope you are doing well. Such concerns occur in the minds of people like us who are studying this subject. Even I feel that the importance of this field has not reached up to the mark. All thanks to various stigmas attached to it such as, psychology is a subject which is studied by those people who are crazy and it is all about dealing with retarded people. People here in the country are not much aware of the concept of mental health and how is it so much important like the physical health. And even if they realise that one can suffer from mental or emotional problems, they don't except this. It is because having mental illness is termed as a sign of weakness.

Also the fact that people here are less educated, so they do not know about this field. In the country, engineering and medical fields are those respectable jobs so people are very much allured towards pursuing these. You mentioned about Bhutan, your question prompted me to search about it. There, the government tried to calculate GNH which is Gross National Happiness of the country. The people in Bhutan believe in simple living without any demand of materialisitic goods. I think that is where the key to happiness lies in, as well as the concern for mental health.

So according to me, both the factors are responsible- the stigmas and the road to progression our country has chosen, which is absolutely a rat race, which makes a regular job, a struggle. Hope this answers your question.

• Heena Sheth
    Heena Sheth   Sep 03, 2017 12:29 PM

Hey Ayushi!
    You have raised a pertinent question here.Looking at the size of the Indian economy, one could expect every discipline to flourish in it's own way. However, it is extremely sad that inspite of being the one the world's fastest growing economy, psychologists in India are either unemployed or under paid. Most of the high paid and so-called respected jobs belong to the engineering and medical fields. What is more sad is the fact that even though urbanization is sweeping through the country, the discipline of psychology has not been given the attention and importance it deserves.Students who graduate from the field of psychology form a significant chunk of the educated unemployed. The scenario is so tragic that even in the metrpolitan cities it is difficult to find an excellently trained psychologist who can help a person to deal with his or her problem.

But if we are to see the structure of the Indian economy, we see that it is primarily agrarian. Post it's independence and with the 5 - year plans, India is on it's path of becoming a developed nation. With globalization the culture in industries is also becoming individualistic like the Western nations, where we find a huge demand for psychologists. Due to this we have seen, that in the last couple of years there has been considerable growth in this field. As the demand for the psychologists is increasing, so is the opportunities and scope ofr their employment.

The growth, survival and future of any discipline largely depends on the extent to which it can be applied for a better understanding of the human society and how it can benefit them. It it is true that Psychology is one of those rare subjects that every individual should understand for a better living, but in India, technical and vocational subjects have dominated public opinion for a long time. As the experimental approach in this discipline widens, so will the applicabilty and we shall see a significant development in not only science but also a burst in the rate of employment.

Hope this helps.