Children and fixations

03 Sep
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

I was recently reading topics related to child psychology and also,Sigmund Freud.I realised that concept of fixation to a particular stage and how things get worse if a person is not able to adapt itself to a particular environment or a learning stage. So my question here is that if a child gets fixated to a stage and is unable to resolve from it during that time,so does it becomes permanently ingrained in the child? Do they not recoer anytime later in life,ever? Even if they do,so some symptoms or habits shall remain forever? What are the causes to it and also what can be done as a remedy?

Responses 1

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 03, 2017 04:51 PM

According to Freud's stages of psychosexual development, fixation occurs at a particular stage if the child is either totally deprived of his or her needs or is over indulged in activities, satisfying his or her needs. Yes, fixation remains as the child grows into an adult and if not taken into consideration and diagnosed, it remains for a life time. For example, one of the reasons of OCD is fixation at the anal stage. If a person realizes that he or she has OCD tendency because of fixation and gets treatment done then it can be cured. If a person is ignorant of it, the tendency of OCD increases with age. Aggression is also one of the effects of fixation. If it is taken into awareness and controlled, its degree decreases or else it will increase with time. Fixation can be cured with ease if diagnosed at an early age through therapies. If it is diagnosed with high degree, medication can help in controlling it. 

Book an appointment