Personality misdiagnosis

03 Sep
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone!

We all have studied the trauma of personality disorders and its after effects. The sad part is to see how unfortunate are those who get their disorders misdiagnosed. Recently,I read  a case in which a patient with borderline personality disorder got misdiagnosed and the clinician got frustrated super soon and blame it on the patient. How far is it appropriate to put the blame of any treatment going wrong on the patient,like blaming on his non-co-operation or other things.Had he been alright why would he come for therapay in the first hand?Also,personality disorders are so closely related that they have more chances of getting misdiagnosed so what can we do here?

Responses 1

• Piyush Bartakke
    Piyush Bartakke   May 18, 2018 05:00 PM

Hi!

It is, by no means, patient’s mistake that he/she got misdiagnosed by a clinical psychologist. As you have already correctly pointed out that the patient would not have come for the therapy in the first place if he had been alright. I think the concerned psychologist lacks the proper amount of empathy that might to necessary to deal with clients with mental health issues. We need to learn from such incidents to practice being empathetic and not judgmental.

And as far as the client is considered, I think it would be better for him to discontinue therapy with the current psychologist and initiate sessions with some other more qualified psychologist. There is no point in crying over spilled milk.