Hype for Sarahah

03 Sep
Ayushi Jolly

Hello everyone! so recently, we all have observed the increasing hype over -Sarahah. For those who do not know,it a an app which lets you post anonymous confessions for people which gets delivered to their inbox but they do not know it was you. I fail to understand what is leading people to use such app? What is the point of hiding our identity when we want to confess something to someone? Why do we fear so much so that we can not even go up to that person or even text or reach him/her and simply tell what we feel. Do we really need such apps to convery feelings and emotions now? Also,why are people signing up to these,do they really want secret admirers and social media popularity so bad?

Responses 2

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 05, 2017 09:02 AM

Hey there! 

The people who are installing these apps seek approval and validation.  They want to know how people feel about them, whether they are appreciated or criticised by people. 

Sometimes people hesitate to confess their feelings, when these messages are made anonymous then can effectively transfer their message without having to risk their identity. 

Yes, it's true that most people are utilising it for the wrong reasons. They are too critical and negative. They keep messaging negative and degrading things to others without realising of its impact. 

People who get a lot of negative messages might deal with low self esteem and lose faith in themselves. They will have difficulty facing the reality because they are clouded by the Sarahah messages about how they are not good enough. 

It has its pros and cons. Sometimes people might get feedback or information that they wouldn't have gotten if the messages had to be sent with names. Sometimes people just want to be well wisher and give genuine appraisal. 

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Sep 04, 2017 05:49 PM

Hey there. I can totally get you. I read about Sarahah and it was made as a medium for positive and constructive feedback. But yeah, obviously people have not been using these apps for such purposes, rather it has been used to make their friends on social media to know how much they are admired or to put it simply, to make others know as to how eventful their lives are in the form of posts or putting up their stories. It has been used as a medium of entertainment, a guess who-I-am game. I have seen people posting comments they got about themselves and they were guessing as to whom had sent it. Mostly, it turned out to be their close friends. The whole point of constructive feedback is lost.

What you were talking about not.saying that on face, yeah it is a valid point, considering the way these apps are used. But if you genuinely use this site for giving honest opinion about someone, like your flaws or your weakness, such apps provide an advantage in this way that the receiver won't know who has actually sent this. So there is no chance of developing a grudge against that person. 

Also this is just another trend on social media. When they see others using it, they decide to use it as well. It will become obsolete in coming months. Hope this answers your question.