How to study if the class is boring?

03 Sep
Name Confidential

Sometimes no matter how much I try to study with full attention, the class is boring. Either the concept or the teacher is boring or sometimes the concept is too difficult that I lose interest. What can I do in these cases where I want to study but still can't? 

Responses 5

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 17, 2017 08:33 PM

You seem to have taken up a lot at once. It is neither easy nor beneficial to multitask. I would suggest that you focus on one thing at time. I see that you are very ambitious which is wonderful, but you also need some focus and direction.

So first of all you need to decide what your aim is. You want to get into the best universities in the country, but some universities are better than others for particular courses. You need to decide which course you want to focus on for masters.

Having a direction and focus will help you divide your time well. It will give you ample time for yourself to study on your own and to take a break.

You can also try to use the pomodoro technique. In short, the pomodoro technique helps to divide your day into 25 minute time slots. There is a 5 minute break between each time slot. In the 25 minute time slots, you need to focus on your work with full attention. This means that you need to keep your phone away, stay away from social media and any other distraction. You should completely focus on your work for 25 minutes and then take a 5 minute break in which you should rest. This increases your productivity and allows you to manage your time well so that there is a work-life balance.

• Minaish Dhabhar
    Minaish Dhabhar   Sep 07, 2017 10:34 AM

Hi there,

Honestly, don't worry - where there's a will, there's a way. If you truly do want to study enough (and the fact that you asked this question means it does mean something to you), there's always a way to end up doing it. 

The problem with a lot of our educational institutions is they manage to make a lot of the conventional subjects seem - well, boring! They stick purely to the syllabus and don't focus too much about building up the child's interest. Because of that, we think we dislike the subject or find it difficult. But the truth is, there is something to like in all subjects. 

My main suggestion to you is - read articles, watch videos. There are so many videos on YouTube about  all kinds of topics. You can watch videos about people talking about the subject itself (their passion will make you see the relevance and the beauty in the subject) and there will be videos or content about the topic you're studying in sprecific (this may be much better taught and explained than the way your teachers deal with them in school). Watch these first, then hit the textbooks. You'll definitely notice the difference. 

Imagine, I studied certain 12th grade maths topics through YouTube. You just have to find a method that works for you and stick to it. I know it's extra work but it's so worth it. 

Take care.

• Sanjna Verma
    Sanjna Verma   Sep 04, 2017 06:21 PM

Hey. I can understand your concern and it is something that every student faces at some or the other point of time. Yes it can be that the teacher is boring and as it was mentioned in one of the answers here, that try and talk to your classmates as well, about it. Then you all can collectively talk to that teacher or the head of department about it.

Also, during the lecture, what you can do is that scribble some notes about that lecture. I did this and I found it an effective methods to reduce that boredom. For example, if you are being taught about Victorian Literature, whatever your teacher will narrate, try and write some short hand notes on that. This will help you in being attentive to whatever is being taught.

And of course, you can clarify your doubts later with the teacher or some other classmate who has understood the topic or you can go to the library and go through the topic taught in class. Hope this helps.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Sep 04, 2017 12:59 AM

Hey,

This is a universal problem being faced by students at any level be it college or the school level. Me not being an exception to it either. It is often seen that when the topics being covered are boring, the teachers teaching method is disninteresting or the concept is either too general or too difficult , we tend to lose our interest and our concentration breaks down. I often come across such situations and I feel really frustrated when i realise that am not able to concentrate. Here are a few things that I often try whenever i encounter such situations:

• First of all, whenever you lose interest, you start feeling sleepy and drowsy. And when this process sets in, its really difficult to get out of it. Just sip in water whenever you feel that you are feeling drowsy and losing concentration. This may help you to refocus your attention.
    • Ask your teacher to adopt a more interactive way of teaching. Ask your doubts if you find a topic very difficult or intriguing. Dont let yourself stray simply because you feel that the topic is not easy.
    • No need to frustrate yourself by overthinking on the fact that you werent able to concentrate on a particular day. Sometimes due to some reasons we are not able to pay attention, no matter how much we try. Just analyse the reasons and see that they do not pop up in the future.

Hope this helps

GOOD LUCK!!

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 04, 2017 12:36 AM

Hey there!I hope you are doing well.

I can totally understand how sometimes classes and lectures can be extremely boring. I used to feel all the more sad when the topic is interesting but the way of teaching is boring or inadequate. However, there is a solution to everything and you can try out the following ways which should help-

1. You can subscribe to online lectures and gain information from there.

2. You can try to go to the go to the teacher and tell her how you have been facing problem you never know how she might help you personally.

3. You can try interacting with the fellow students that is your classmates and see or check if they are also facing the same problem. If yes then you all can gather up and visit the higher authority that is available to you and complain.

4. There are a lot of models available on the Internet that help in understanding various topics of different subjects. They help through the mode of examples which would anyway help you understand the topic better than any other mode of teaching.

6. If possible you can try and get your section changed.

7. You can also use the library for matter.

Book an appointment