How to express myself?

03 Sep
Name Confidential

I express a lot of emotions. I express happiness, joy, excitement, surprise, fear, love, anxiety, tension. But I have difficulty expressing sadness. Not all types of sadness. I can express sadness over a loss of person or over losing things but I can't express the feeling I get when something makes me feel weak. I need to always be strong. I can't admit to people that I am weak. I don't want to cry in front of people. I will cry but alone and in isolation. Am I okay? I don't feel the need to express to someone. Is it okay if I don't express this? 

Responses 5

• Upasana Sengupta
    Upasana Sengupta   Sep 07, 2017 10:03 AM

Hey there!

Please dont worry about such a behaviour, it is completely normal.

Firstly, you need to know that a person's emotions has nothing to do with strength or weakness. They depict 'how the person is feeling about a situation' and not 'how the person is dealing with the situation'. Its one thing to be fearless, someone who is not afraid, is forever strong and an whole different story is being brave, one who is afraid but deals with the problem anyway.

Your condition is very normal. Many people cannot cry in front of people. Many people cannot express their feelings to others. Introverts do not need others to listen and judge how they are feeling. They are confident people who know what they are going through and can handle their turmoil on their own. You belong to such a group, infact, me too. 

But you should deal with your emotions healthily. Why does the world need to know what you are going through. But you should have a fair idea of what is going on inside you. Writing a journal helps a lot. You should give it a try. 

And dont worry, you are completely healthy and a very confident individual.

Best of luck.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 06, 2017 10:36 PM

Hey, I hope you are doing well. I would like to say that expressing that you are sad or crying does not potray you weak. If you feel sad that does not mean that you are not strong and showing your joy doesn not mean that you are strong. These are all emotions, none signifies weakness and strength. You are not thhe person who is not expressive at all. If you feel remorse, let your emotions flow. Don't hold them back or supress. Whatever you feel just let the emitions flow. If you feel like crying, cry. It will make you feel better, you will feel relaxed. Don't worry about what people will think and all. Just express yourself whether it is happiness or sadness. Let your emotions be free.

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 04, 2017 04:57 PM

Hello there! 

Yes, it's perfectly fine. 

It's okay to limit few emotions to yourself. Nobody likes to talk about weaknesses. Nobody wants other people to know about how their weaknesses are getting on nerves. Just make sure that you don't suppress all the feelings you have when you face weakness. Be open to emotions. If you feel like you want to talk to someone then kindly do. Don't stay shut just because you are afraid of what others might say. Be bold. Get over your weakness. The more you talk about it, the more people might help you realise the ways in which you can recover and become a better person. 

If you don't want to share then just write it down. Write down your feelings. Write down how you feel, express your heart out. This is a process of venting which is called catharsis. It will give you an outlet and it won't harm your sense of privacy as you like to keep your weaknesses to yourself. 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 04, 2017 12:41 AM

Hey there! I hope you are doing well.

Please don't worry if you are behaving in such a way.

It is absolutely normal to feel this way since most of us if not evident feel the same. Being human's it is very easy for us to express happiness with equal it difficult for most of us to express our sorrows or anything sad.

Each individual is unique and therefore has different point of view regarding anything and everything that exists in this world. I feel that you should be glad that you are able to express most of your feelings if not her sadness since so many people around or not even able to do that. For this it is nice to know that you can at least Express express your sorrow over the loss of someone if not beloved that shows how human you are. According to me if you are not expressing your sadness publicly or you're not vocal about it that means that you are very emotionally stable and you do not need external support to calm yourself down in bad situations. This makes you strong human being. However if you still want to improve you can start writing your feelings and maybe not keep it to yourself or to your heart you can also say your feelings is sadness of grief with someone you really feel attached to someone you have developed fade into if not everybody.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Sep 04, 2017 12:28 AM

Hey,

I can so well relate to you. I have this strong tendency not to let my emotions out, not to let out my sadness open in front of others and almost never to cry in front of others. I never thought that it is inappropraite not to cry in front of others. Neither do i take it as an indicator of my strength. even if i need to cry or let my emotions out, I prefer doing so alone. Not because of any of the given reasons but simply because it is something that would really help me unburden, truly.

This is one of thereasons behind my reaction. Probably , I feel not so comfortable doing so in front of others simply because I don't want people to sympathise with me while I cry or become curious to figure out the reason behind me crying. I may cry in front of someone whom I think would truly understand the reason behind my emotions and may have something more to offer than formal sympathies. If I do not see such indications coming forthwith, I prefer not doing so.

In your case too, more important than the expression of emotions in front of others or alone,is that you are able to appropriately express them and experience a cathartic release. That's important.

Hope this helps.

GOOD LUCK!