How to stop my friends from mocking others?

03 Sep
Name Confidential

So many of my friend mock others on the basis of their accent, their action, something they did in the past or some mistake or some inability. They even make fun of teachers. I hate this. I want to stop them and ask them not to make fun of these people because we must respect everyone. But whenever I ask them to stop they start mocking me for being too emotional and sensitive. So I just go with the flow to avoid being the target of mockery. What can I do? 

Responses 4

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 06, 2017 08:46 PM

I know it is awful to see others disrespect others. Let it be. It is their look out. It is their way of behaving. They prefer behaving like that. They are respinsible of how they treat others. You can tell them once, twice or even thrice but if they don't listen how many times will you say. Maybe when things come back upon them, when someone will behave in the same manner with them, they will understand. They will understand that you were right when they feel the rude words and get hurt by someone else. Life will make them understand. I know such behaviour affects you, you can trybto ignore them and not get influenced by them. They get happiness on making fun of others and teasing others. All you can say is that such habit will affect their relations with others. It will be good if they sooner learn to be humble and emphatetic towards others. If they don't feel for others and help them, in future when they need help, no one will come to them . You lose your respect and connections by such behaviour. If you want people to be good to you and respect you, you have to give them same. Its just like a boomerang. You get what you give. 

• Name Confidential
    Anonymous   Sep 04, 2017 04:50 PM

Hi there. 

Be who you are. Never fear being you. Your individuality must be respected by everyone. Your set of morals and values is as important as someone else's. You are not less than anyone. Your voices should be heard too. Just because people don't give significance to it, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. You never know one day one of your friend actually starts agreeing with your viewpoint. It's all a matter of time till someone understand the valid reasons behind your arguments. 

Besides you are right. We shouldn't mock others on these minute basis, we must appreciate diversity and uniqueness in people. 

Sometimes people are not able to understand your point because perspectives don't match. Tell them why you feel so and how it's not a good thing to mock others on these issues. You never know how much one small thing can hurt others. 

If thy don't listen then maybe you need to change sides. These friends of yours who cannot bring out the best in your are not worth keeping. 

• Ayushi Jolly
    Ayushi Jolly   Sep 04, 2017 12:24 AM

Hey there!

I hope you are doing well.

It is strange that your friends behave in this way. However, the best part is that if you are willing, you can actually change your friend's points of view and make them realize how wrong it is to have been treating others this way. The following measures can be adopted to help you through this.

1. You can politely ask them to not behave like that and perhaps highlight the qualities that the person being criticized has which they do not pursue.

2. You can tell them that itbis wrong and try a moral lecture on them.

3. You can move away from the group because there is no point in being friends with people who might even mock at you if you do not conform to their habits.

4. You can take them individually and give them lessons on how what they are doing is wrong and also on how others will start to dislike them for the same.

5. You can try finding out another group of people who are respectful and also suit your friend zone and do not force you to behave in a way which you naturally do not.

• APOORVA PANDEY
    APOORVA PANDEY   Sep 04, 2017 12:19 AM

Hey,

This tendency is often seen in many of the friends group that we have. It is infact one of the basic topics of discussion in teh friend circles. It is one of those issues on which people come together and discuss and laugh. It is one these topics when holding common opinion about a person thing or an event becomes very important for a group memeber. In view of such influences, people often don't realise that they have far exceeded the boundaries of having fun and have begun downplaying and humiliating a particualr person.

More than anything else, issues like this require sensitivity and a bit of understanding from the other side. You can't definitely pinpoint and tell your group mates each and every tie they do such things but they must try and understand how it feels to be at the other end of things, at the end of being mocked at and be made fun of. Its really great to know that you don't like such acts on the part of your friends but at the same time feel helpless to act in any way. The ideal way for you to respond is to is to show displeasure whenever things like these happen. Don't indulge yourself in it. 

It takes time for some people but they can't remain immature for a very long time. If need be, you can come ahead and explain your friends about it. Don't be afraid of their mockery and criticism.After all you know how little it matters, at the end of the day.

GOOD LUCK!

Book an appointment